Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 21, 2003, 6:33 PM   #1

Default New or Refurbished???-Please Help!!

I am interested in buying a sony camera for $400. After looking at prices I foung a site selling factory refurbished ones for $270. Its has a 90 day manufacture's warranty, and it comes in a new box and has new camera parts. What do you recommend? Wouldn't it be as good as new?
Keshelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2003, 7:24 PM   #2

You have to weigh up the risks yourself, but my dad bought a refurbished Sony P1 at Christmas, and the optical zoom simply stopped working 3 days after he bought it, so he got his money back on it. This would seem to indicate it wasn't refurbished very well :S
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2003, 8:12 PM   #3

Many times refurbished cameras are those that were sold-customer opened box and returned-dealer can't legally sell as new so he sends back to factory. Factory repakages camera after testing and you save some money. I just bought a C-720 Olympus this way. I have bought many refurb. power tools and never got a bad one. Most sellers offer an extended warranty if that is an issue to you.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2003, 10:17 PM   #4

Ive bought a Refurb Olympus D-520, D-550 and I will be buying a C-4000 refurbished. I do not know how strict Sony is on there cameras, but it seems like Olympus cameras do pretty well even if they are refurbs.
djkothbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2003, 8:24 PM   #5
lg

I was told by an Olympus refurbished reseller that a Class "A" refurbished camera comes with all the items that were packaged in the original retail package. I have purchased two refurbished cameras. The first, an unspecified refurbished unit did not come with the lens cap, and works very well. The second, purchased from the guy mentioned above, came with everything in the box and also works fine. The English version of the manual was missing, and a Spanish version was in its place-- the reseller is exchanging the Spanish version for an English one right now, and I am very satisfied with both of these cameras.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2003, 10:28 PM   #6

Thanks everyone!
Keshelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2003, 7:40 PM   #7

Default stay away from Sony P72 and 717

The 717 is under recall.

And the P72 is a poor low light performer, and seems to have a bug in choosing the correct ISO when in 3X zoom on sunny days. See my other post of details.
lukester01 is offline   Reply With Quote