Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 6, 2006, 3:23 PM   #1

Hello, recently I came across a pretty good deal on a brand new Canon dSLR XTi that seemed to be a pretty good deal. I can get a new Canon dSLR XTi (10 megapixels) with 2kit lens (18-55mm and 70-300mm) for $899. Its a xmas deal

Currently I shoot with a Minolta 5D. I am a still advanced beginner- intermediate photographer. I shoot alot of landscape, nature,traveland street photography. I am happy with the Minolta but at times wish I had more lens options but I adore the anti-shake.

I am however wondering if there will be a big differencebetween my 6 megapixelMinolta 5D and the Canon 400D/XTi (10 megapixel) or if i should just hold off. I don't have a whole host of lens for my Minolta (just a 50mm, 18-70mm, 70-300) so changing lens systems isnt really a big problem. I know alot of people say that there isnt too much difference between a 6-8 megapixel camera and not too much between the 8-10 megapixel camera. My minolta currently takes fairly good photos, but I would like the option to be able to print much larger pictures.

Guess Im just looking for some advice, is that camera dealdecent enough to not pass up or will I be wasting my money since there isnt too much difference between the new camera and my current one.

Apologies, Im still learning and taking classes. Thanks in advance.
Jinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2006, 5:44 PM   #2

there is not much difference between 6mp and 10mp if you are talking about print size smaller then 8 1/2 x11. I would not get the Canon Rebel XTi because it has 10mp, it I would it because it has other stuff that your minolta can't do.

I understand your pain with not being able to find as much lens(I have the Pentax DS) compaired to Canon/Nikon. What lens do you really need that you can't find? Now that sony has picked up the mount, Im sure that more lens will be out. Pentax really lacks high zoom lens, but I am able to find some good one from 3rd party company like Sigma.

superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 5:59 PM   #3

Your post as writtendoesn't convince me that upgrading is a smart move for you.

The lenses you have are a nice mix of focal ranges - is there something you need that is specific to Canon? If so, then the answer is obvious,get the Canon.

You talk vaguely about wanting to print larger sized pictures. OK, printing posters and/or cropping a lot are good reasons for going to a 10 mp camera. However, if that's the main reason why you want to upgrade, why not get the Sony? Then you can use your existing lenses.

I have a Pentax and have the kit lens (hardly ever use it because I use a 24mm 2.8 most of the time), the DA 50-200, a 50mm 1.7, a 100mm macro, and an A*300. There are all kinds of other lovely sounding lenses out there that I'd love to have (all the limited lenses come to mind), but when it comes right down to it, those lenses I have do everything I want them to do.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 8:19 PM   #4

DSLR prices are dropping like flies. Samy's Camera today advertised the Pentax K110D for $399 (!) including kit lens. So unless you have a compelling reason to upgrade to 10 MPnow and switch over to Canon (none of which have AS, a feature I could not dispense with), having to acquire a new set of lenses, I would not recommend buying this camera. That kind of deal won't sound like a great deal a year from now, when image stabilized 10 MP DSLR's will be readily available below $500 bucks. I'd stick with the Sony line myself because I have quite a few lenses for my KM 5D. Other than that I'd consider the Pentax K100D or K10D, both image stabilized and 6MP or 10 MP respectively.

6 MP is fine for all my purposes so far, andmakes gorgeous 13x19 prints from my Canon i9900. Don't forget that when you cram more pixels onto the same sized sensor, you pay for the extra resolution with more image noise, which has been the one weak point of the Sony AlphaA100 in the reviews I have seen.

So, my recommendation. Don't do it! DSLR prices are tumbling and there will be plenty of more and better deals. Upgradewhen it affords youa truly new benefit., not just a couple of more megapixels while foregoing the AS.

Rainer
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 8:32 PM   #5

If you have a lot of Minolta-compatible accessories you may not want to dive into another system. Minolta's "demise" was caused by bad business decisions, not bad cameras. Your 6MP Minolta is a good unit. That being said, so is the Canon (I don't own either but know people who do & have seen the results). If you decide to shell out the bucks for the Canon it should be for the flexibility of their system, not an additional 4MP.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 9:23 PM   #6

Hi, first Thank You to everyone who posted. I really appreciate it.. I think deep down I already had an answer in my head but I think I needed to hear someone else say it to convince me. Im going to pass on the Canon.

Yeah, I thought it over and honestly couldn't come up with a decent reason to upgrade other than getting caught up in Xmas shopping fever. :-)

You guys are right, prices will come down and I am still really happy wiht my Minolta. I do love my the 'Anti-Shake' and thinking it over, my money is probably better spent on getting some nice lens for my minolta.

Thanks a bunch.
Jinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 10:00 PM   #7

I wouldn't put a whole lot of weight on the "mega-pixel wars". I've printed many excellent 13x19 photo prints using my 6MP Konica Minolta 7D & proper interpolation methods while upsampling. It'll cost you a lot more to change systems than getting a good deal on a body & a few lenses.....
Old Dec 6, 2006, 10:36 PM   #8

Jinkage wrote:
Quote:
Hello, recently I came across a pretty good deal on a brand new Canon dSLR XTi that seemed to be a pretty good deal. I can get a new Canon dSLR XTi (10 megapixels) with 2kit lens (18-55mm and 70-300mm) for $899. Its a xmas deal

Currently I shoot with a Minolta 5D. I am a still advanced beginner- intermediate photographer. I shoot alot of landscape, nature,traveland street photography. I am happy with the Minolta but at times wish I had more lens options but I adore the anti-shake.

I am however wondering if there will be a big differencebetween my 6 megapixelMinolta 5D and the Canon 400D/XTi (10 megapixel) or if i should just hold off. I don't have a whole host of lens for my Minolta (just a 50mm, 18-70mm, 70-300) so changing lens systems isnt really a big problem. I know alot of people say that there isnt too much difference between a 6-8 megapixel camera and not too much between the 8-10 megapixel camera. My minolta currently takes fairly good photos, but I would like the option to be able to print much larger pictures.

Guess Im just looking for some advice, is that camera dealdecent enough to not pass up or will I be wasting my money since there isnt too much difference between the new camera and my current one.

Apologies, Im still learning and taking classes. Thanks in advance.
I have gotten so many incredible deals on used and new lensesfor my KM's that I can shoot in almost any situation I desire and I have no intention of ever changing systems unless Sony really does something deplorable. I keep toying with selling off a couple of cameras for an Alpha but I preferto wait to see if they come out with a model simliar to the 7D.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 11:57 PM   #9

Jinkage wrote:
Quote:
Hi, first Thank You to everyone who posted. I really appreciate it.. I think deep down I already had an answer in my head but I think I needed to hear someone else say it to convince me. Im going to pass on the Canon.

Yeah, I thought it over and honestly couldn't come up with a decent reason to upgrade other than getting caught up in Xmas shopping fever. :-)

You guys are right, prices will come down and I am still really happy wiht my Minolta. I do love my the 'Anti-Shake' and thinking it over, my money is probably better spent on getting some nice lens for my minolta.

Thanks a bunch.
Glad we could put your mind at ease. If you got a thousand bucks to spend on yourself for Xmas, put the money toward a nice HDTV Big Screen if you don't have one yet. That will be my next major purchase. Other than movies and TV, I also want to enjoy my pictures on HD 1080p quality.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Rainer
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote