Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 7, 2006, 9:36 AM   #1

When comparing the Fuji s6000 and the K100D with the 18-55mmlens kit, the s6000'slens isf/2.8-to-4.9 while the K100D's lens kit isf/3.5-to-f/5.6. Being that I am on a limited budget, who knows how long it might be before I can afford to purchase another lens for the K100D and in all likelihood, it will most likely be azoom lensby Tamron that goes to 200mm and probablystill, like the lens kit, will only have a maximum aperature of f/3.5.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I imagine that since the K100D has a sensor much larger than the s6000, even though the s6000 has a lens with better specs, the K100D should still come out the winner, correct?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Or, because I am on a budget and can't afford to buy a good lens, which isthe most important factor of any SLR camera, am I just wasting money on getting a dSLR?
Contriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:40 AM   #2

Assuming you're talking about being able to use available light, 2.8-4.9 vs. 3.5-5.6 is negligible, and yes you're absolutely right, although the fuji is an excellent point and shoot option for higher ISO values, the DSLR, no matter what model, will blow it away. www.dpreview.com just posted their review of the k100d, you should check out the comparisons towards the end; sounds like they think it is the best 6mp dslr available. i have an older *istDL currently. prior to that i had a panasonic fz30, which was always set to the fastest ISO possible - because noise sucks. i can set the DL to 800 no problem, and have even had it at 1600 by mistake and not been disapointed with the results.

i'm on a budget too, but i'm always prowling the local camera shops in the twin cities for used pentax lenses. i bought a 50mm f1.7 pentax smc-a (manual with aperture ring) for $30 a few months back - while ebay may be hot with pentax lenses, your local shops don't know it, so they're still cheap there and its worth looking! i can get shots i never dreamed of with a prosumer cam with that f1.7; you wont regret it, even if you have to stick with the kit lens - it is very nice, one of the more higher regarded as far as kit lenses go for image quality.
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 10:15 AM   #3

What are the 35mm film camera equivalents for the focal lengh ranges of the lenses in question?

If the prosumer model has the more contemporary 38mm (35mm film camera equivalent) at widest angle and f/2.8and the DSLR is the more traditional 50mmat widest angle and f/3.5, the lenses themselves may well be equal in "speed".

Do both cameras (and lenses) have aperture control or aperture priority? Some prosumer cameras have no lens iris and therefore no control over depth of field, relying on shutter speed only to achievethe correct exposure.

ajaynejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 10:27 AM   #4

ajaynejr wrote:
Quote:
What are the 35mm film camera equivalents for the focal lengh ranges of the lenses in question?

If the prosumer model has the more contemporary 38mm (35mm film camera equivalent) at widest angle and f/2.8and the DSLR is the more traditional 50mmat widest angle and f/3.5, the lenses themselves may well be equal in "speed".

Do both cameras (and lenses) have aperture control or aperture priority? Some prosumer cameras have no lens iris and therefore no control over depth of field, relying on shutter speed only to achievethe correct exposure.
the K100D uses an APS-size sensor, meaning it has a crop factor of about 1.5. the 18-55 kit lens equates to approximately 28-80mm in a full-frame camera. the S6000 clearly has the "faster" lens of the two, but the difference betwen f2.8 and f3.5 is neglible in most situations, especially given the K100D's internal image stabilization.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 10:46 AM   #5

Contriver wrote:
Quote:
When comparing the Fuji s6000 and the K100D with the 18-55mmlens kit, the s6000'slens isf/2.8-to-4.9 while the K100D's lens kit isf/3.5-to-f/5.6. Being that I am on a limited budget, who knows how long it might be before I can afford to purchase another lens for the K100D and in all likelihood, it will most likely be azoom lensby Tamron that goes to 200mm and probablystill, like the lens kit, will only have a maximum aperature of f/3.5.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I imagine that since the K100D has a sensor much larger than the s6000, even though the s6000 has a lens with better specs, the K100D should still come out the winner, correct?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Or, because I am on a budget and can't afford to buy a good lens, which isthe most important factor of any SLR camera, am I just wasting money on getting a dSLR?
you didn't really say why you're looking for a DSLR. what is it about the s6000 that you find inadequate? it's got the same resolution as the Pentax, with substantially more zoom. the Fuji equates to a 28-300 zoom on a full-frame body; a 200 mm zoomfor the K100D would give the same 300mm effective focal length, but that's another lens you'll need to buy, and a decent lens in that range would cost as much as the Fuji. plus with the Fuji, you won't need to change lenses to get that zoom range... the biggest disadvantage to the Fuji is the lack of image stabilization, which can be a real issue at long focal lengths in marginal light. for those situations, the Pentax is the clear winner; its internal IS means that even though the kit lens is marginally slower than the Fuji, you'll gain a couple of stops because of the stabilization. so... if you're going to be shooting mostly outdoors with good light, the Fuji is a good bet. if you plan to do most of your shooting indoors or in low light, go with the K100D -just be prepared to buy an extra lens to make up the difference in focal range.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 11:57 AM   #6

I did a test between a prosumer Panasonic FZ-30 and DSLR Konica Minolta Dynax 5D with kit lens.

Due to the higer ISO and low noise on DSLR, it was the winner. Even with slower lens.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

msantos is offline   Reply With Quote