Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 9, 2006, 7:21 PM   #1

Hi everyone. I have a few lenses left over from when I owned a Minolta Maxxum film camera. Just wondering if anyone knows if they can be used with the Sony Alpha 100.

I heard that SOME Minolta maxxum lenses would fit the Sony mount but would really love to hear from any of you who know the answer. I'm basing my next cam purchase on whether they will fit.

Also, any advice re purchasing the Sony Alpha or the Nikon D80 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

PatoG :O
PatoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2006, 8:45 PM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
I heard that SOME Minolta maxxum lenses would fit the Sony mount...
Not just some... *all* Minolta Autofocus (a.k.a., Minolta Maxxum, Dynax, Minolta A-Mount) Lenses will work on a Konica Minolta or Sony DSLR. I have yet to see any kind of compability issue reported with a Minolta Maxxum lens.

As long as they're not older MC/MD mount manual focus lenses (which use a different lens mount), you'd be fine (Minolta changed the lens mount when they introduced the Maxxum line of Autofocus Cameras in 1985).

The vast majority of third party lenses in Maxxum mount will also work. From time to time, you see an old Sigma with a compability issue (and sometimes Sigma can rechip them for better compatiblity). But, most other lenses from Tamron, Tokina, etc. in Maxxum mount will also work, and you'll have Anti-Ahake (or Super Steady Shot as Sony renamed it to) with every lens.

Note that lenses will appear to be 50% longer on a DSLR with a Sony Sensor (and Konica Minolta, Sony, Pentax, and Nikon DSLR models all use the same size sensor).

That's because the sensors are smaller than 35mm film. So, you'll have a narrower angle of view (more apparent magnification) with a lens on a DSLR. For example, a 50mm lens on a Sony, Pentax, Konica Minolta, or Nikon DSLR would give you the same angle of view you'd have using a 75mm lens on your Maxxum Film body.

IOW, multiply the focal length of a lens by 1.5x to get an idea of the focal length it would be equivalent to on a 35mm camera.

That's one reason some of the kit lenses with most DSLR models start out at around 18mm (because lenses will appear to be around 1.5x longer on many DSLR models compared to a film body).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 10:37 AM   #3

PatoG,

I tested my three old Maxxum AF lenses on a Sony A100. Here is a link to the photos:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=21100203
ltdedorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 12:46 PM   #4
Administrator

The Sony DSLR-A100 is based heavily on the Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D, which works just fine with all Minolta Autofocus Lenses..

If anything, the newer model would probably be more compatible. All Minolta Autofocus (a.k.a., Maxxum, Dynax, Alpha, Minolta A-Mount, AF) Lenses should work fine.

I'm using a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D. All lenses I've tried on it work fine.

Lenses used with my with Maxxum 5D:

Minolta
----------
28mm f/2
50mm f/1.7
100mm f/2
135mm f/2.8
18-70mm f/3.5-5.6
24-85mm f/3.5-4.5
35-70mm f/4 Macro

Tamron
-----------
20-40mm f/2.7-3.5
35-105mm f/2.8

Vivitar
--------
70-210mm f/2.8-4

Make sure to visit our Sony / Konica Minolta DSLR Forum where you'll find users of Konica Minolta and Sony DSLR models if you want to ask if anyone's using your specific lenses if they're 3rd party versus Minolta. But, the only ones you'd like have problems with is some older Sigmas.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote