Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 23, 2003, 4:13 PM   #1

Default Going to the Camera Store.... Items to check when comparing

I am going to "the Cities" tomorrow and will be checking out my short list of cameras:

Oly 5050; Sony 717, Nikon 5400 (not in yet), Nikon 5700; Minolta 7i/7Hi, Canon G3/G5

I've researched their features and therefore I am going to checkout the "feel" of each camera.

In a situation like this for an in store comparison, what are some of the things you (meaning you personally) check?
Us 5 Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2003, 7:19 PM   #2

obviously the way it feels in the hand, controls etc etc etc.

Shutter speed

Smoothness of the Zoom

LCD quality

Ability to focus in low light

On screen displays

Anythign else you're fussy about.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2003, 9:29 PM   #3

Alfisti listed this first and it should be near the top (if not at the top!). Don't discount how it feels, if the buttons are in good places, does it fit in your pocket/whatever you're going to take it around in. Don't expect it to be amazing the first time you pick it up, but at the same time expect a learning curve about which buttons do what.

In the end, if you find it uncomfortable to use or too big to carry then you're less likely to use it... and then see how many pictures you take! :lol:

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2003, 9:33 PM   #4

Since I am right handed and left eye dominant, I want to see what my (greasy) nose will interface with as I'm looking through the viewfinder with my left eye.

With the C3020--and most likely the C5050--my nose (just barely) clears the right side of the LCD screen, thus saving a lot of nose-print clean up time.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2003, 9:45 PM   #5

Oh yeah ... and if it has an optical or E viewfinder .. .I personally don't like the EVF's because they look underexposed and you miscalculate your shot.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2003, 7:41 AM   #6

Ease of Menu navigation and how quickly you can change settings - depending on how important that is to you.

Zoom operation - how accurately can u frame the image - my A70 I tend to have to zoom in and out a bit to get what I want - or sometimes even have to move forward or back !! :shock: :lol:

stef
stefank is offline   Reply With Quote