Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 23, 2003, 7:36 PM   #1

Default PC or MAC for Editing

I need to decide between PC or MAC for my next computer. I currently use a four year old PC which I upgraded a year ago with extra memory and a second hard drive. It performs fine, but I want more USB ports, bigger monitor, faster processor for multi tasking, etc (I'm thinking of a Dell gaming computer). I currently use an Oly C-730, but plan to get a digital SLR in the next year. My 17-year old son is interested in video production and wants a MAC, but when I attended the Espon Print Academy (very good) a few weeks ago, most of the pro photographers at the session and in the video interviews use PC's. The lecturer explained that photographers use PhotoShop differently than graphic designers, which I'm thinking may explain the preference for PC's. What'd you think? THX - john
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2003, 8:45 PM   #2

The same software tools are available on both platforms, Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Premiere (the standards) so that's not an issue.

There's lots of video goodies out there for the PC, a few years ago I bought a $1000 Miro capture card, and I also have a Videonics CommandPost edit controller for the PC so I can control video editing software just like I'd control an editing VTR, so that's not an issue (I think the CommandPost also works on the Apple, but not sure). CommandPost info can be found at http://www.focusinfo.com/products/co...ommandpost.htm It's a nice gadget for those serious about video because it gives you the feel of a proper edit controller.

I know on the PC you can always add more USB connectors through PCI adapters, plus you can always add hubs (I currently have four hubs) so that's not an issue.

So what is an issue? OS reliability could be an issue, but if you use 2000 or XP it's a lot better than it was. Years ago I did consider getting a Mac for video editing, but not anymore. Speed isn't one because the gamers really push the limits of hardware development.

One thing, if you're serious about photo editing, stick with a CRT monitor, the colours on LCDs are too saturated and vivid...you'll find when you print out based on what you see on an LCD your printout will be bland by comparison.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2003, 9:40 PM   #3

Need more USB ports? Get a $20 USB hub. Sounds like an excuse to get a new computer to me. If the computer you have does what you need it to do, buy some more memory and press on. In the past, the Mac was much better than the PC in the area of graphics. The gap has closed.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2003, 11:24 PM   #4

I agree, save your money and get a PC, they are much more flexible and the ability to upgrade is far easier. For photos get a good monitor and video card. I have a Samsung 700IFT and although I wish I had a 19"+ the display is crisp and clear.

Currently I have a 1GHz with a 32MB PCI Video (no AGP port ) so processing RAW images to TIFF or JPG is to tedious for my liking. However, I will put up with it as its really not that bad and by not upgrading just yet will put me that much closer to a D100 or higher
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2003, 7:17 AM   #5

Good advice everyone, THX. I do use XP OS and don't have to tell you what an improvement it is over W98. I'll add the hub, maybe get a new monitor, see how it goes. And I'll let my 17-year old son (who's a good kid) read your responses, your advice will be so much better received than mine - HA!
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote