Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 23, 2003, 8:55 PM   #1

Default Organization of images

Any suggestions from experienced users of the numerous applications out there that I can use to reference my images.

There must be an application out there that maintains a visual image of the actual image file, without keeping the image file on the hard drive.

Let me know whats working out there. Thanks.
sbgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2003, 3:02 PM   #2

Photoshop Elements will allow you to catalog your images and keep thumbnails of them while the originals and also edited images are stored on other media. It will remember where they are and prompt you for the proper disk when you select the thumbnail.

I know there are many other programs that will do this as well...Irfanview has been highly recommended by many on this board and it may have this capability as well...I'm not sure.

Good luck!
rych26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2003, 4:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Any suggestions from experienced users of the numerous applications out there that I can use to reference my images.

There must be an application out there that maintains a visual image of the actual image file, without keeping the image file on the hard drive.

Let me know whats working out there. Thanks.
Acdsee does this.
macleod76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2003, 4:27 PM   #4

ACDsee here also.
ACDsee really rocks.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2003, 9:06 AM   #5

I'm with rych26. Adobe Photoshop Album is intuitive and easy to use. It also allows you to archive and backup your album as well your images to cd/DVD without having to use another application. It will also do incremental backups. Also, when you go t edit an image, it creates a copy to work from thus preserving your original image. One thing to make note of is that if you use PS Album's internal editor, you will loose the EXIF data. But if you export to Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0, it will retain the EXIF.

I found a magazine at WalMart called Digital Camera that is doing a head to head of Album to Jasc Paint Shop Album. Jasc is very similar to ACDsee in that it's search method is tag/folder driven, while Adobe is by tag/timeline driven. What that means is that if you know that your picture as taken sometime in either April or May of 2002, you can search all of the pictures during were taken during the month of April or May.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2003, 10:37 AM   #6

ACDSee lets you add a set of notes which move with your pic files, which it stores in a plain text readable format. The catalogue and thumbnail files can be located and stored on removable media as backups, but are normally kept on your local drive so thumbnail browsing is really fast when working with CD-R.

The editor's not bad either, batch rename is brill, AND it doesn't strip your EXIF data on edited files.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2003, 2:28 AM   #7

Whoops...

I meant to say Photoshop Album in my post...not Elements. (I use both)...

Duh! ops:
rych26 is offline   Reply With Quote