Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 15, 2002, 7:03 PM   #1

Default polerizers

I have been trying one lately for shots with lots of water. It does help with keeping the blue sky blue and not gray. The thing I would like to know is what are some of the good points and bad points of using one. From what I know I am sacraficing some light. SOme blury shots is what prompts the question. I shot some fast action from a moving boat, on top I am at up to 150-200mm zoom (also cutting the light). So my next attempt I think I should force a faster shutter. I do use the sports mode, but need to read up on it's settings. Any one have any other things to attempt? The camera is the Minolta 7i.
Thanks
Ken E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2002, 8:25 PM   #2

Great shot! The polarizer only costs you two f-stops. I guess you have to decide if the sky and reflections are worth the speed.

There are several things you can do to increase shutter speed. The simplest is to go to aperture priority and set the widest aperture (3.5 for your tele shots). This will give you the fastest shutter speed for the lighting. The wide aperture will also reduce your depth of field, which you may see as good or bad.

A better solution would be to go to full manual, set the widest aperture, and then set the shutter speed fast enough to underexpose just a tad. You can do the same thing in aperture priority mode by setting EV to -0.7 or so. You can then brighten the photo up in the "digital darkroom."

You can also increase the ISO. Try a few shots at each of the ISO's and see what's acceptable to you as far as noise is concerned. Check out Neatimage for processing out the noise.
JimHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2002, 9:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken E
Any one have any other things to attempt? The camera is the Minolta 7i.
Thanks
Vivid color setting ?
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2002, 9:58 PM   #4

This shot wasn't to bad, but some can be real blury. You never know when the boat will bounce, so some should be expected, I guess, with the 7x zoom. Lots of fun settings to try.

Here is an example of UHS. Every other frame pasted together. The last two are not as sharp as the rest(bottom right-water and faces are fuzzy). One shutter press and lost of shots with the same settings. It might have been a boat bump?
Old Jul 16, 2002, 7:41 AM   #5

Default No Polerizer

Sorry the UHS didn't come through. Reflection is not an issue as much as color is. Here is an example of no polerizer and the "grays" that happens.

[Edited on 7-16-2002 by Ken E]
Old Jul 16, 2002, 9:52 AM   #6

Is this more what you wanted?

Old Jul 16, 2002, 10:08 AM   #7

Thats closer Jim. Useally I brighten and up the blue as an adjustment and get a good image. I don't know if the UHS image shows for you(does at home but not work). It has much better color. Yours seams a bit on the bright highlights.
Old Jul 16, 2002, 10:15 AM   #8

here is one resized but right out of the camera with polerizer on. I like the results here way better then the "gray"

Old Jul 16, 2002, 10:19 AM   #9

here is the every other frame UHS I mentioned above incase it doesnt come through before.
Old Jul 16, 2002, 4:38 PM   #10

I could see the photo before, but I couldn't do anything with it. Now that you've posted one I can zoom in on, I can agree that camera movement is the reason for the blurred ones.

You're more likely to get serious and helpful answers to your questions here:

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/151930

Too bad you just missed the "Action Photos" contest.

Jim