Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 25, 2003, 1:42 PM   #1

Default Which PhotoEditor & versions do/don't strip EXIF data

Hi All,

I've been exchanging some frustrating emails with ULEAD recently when I discovered my PhotoImpact newish version 7 shows EXIF camera data on the source file, but then strips it on any save after editing. They don't communicate well on my version, or the later one's. I'm not paying for another editor unless I know this problem isn't there.

Firstly, does anybody use ULEAD PI7 and can verify, or is it just me? I know ACDSee 4 is OK and that came out before PhotoImpact7. I did a HEXdump on PI7 and my copy definitely strips the EXIF data off JPEGS.

What versions of other editors are OK, particularly after you've editedand down sampled to put on a photo website .

I can think of situations, say web posting, where you might wish to keep file size down by stripping the data, but it doesn't help if you want to share photos you've taken with others. Thanks - VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2003, 1:50 PM   #2

If you don't want to pay $$$ for a new program that is Exif friendly, you can use the free (postcardware) Exifer. Exifer can take the Exif info from the source picture and add it to your edited picture...also it can update for changed information like picture size.
http://www.exifer.friedemann.info/
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2003, 4:13 PM   #3

Thanks Mike, I already use this EXIF viewer but haven't used the 'paste back EXIF data' mode. It seems a bit of work though, to keep remembering after editing, to get the right cam source file each time on 50 or so pics and re-build the file header? Presumably you could easily make a mistake, and get the wrong metadata with the wrong file.

Which ones's are the EXIF friendly programs?
Old Jun 25, 2003, 6:08 PM   #4

Default Re: Which PhotoEditor & versions do/don't strip EXIF dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
does anybody use ULEAD PI7 and can verify, or is it just me?
Vox,
All I know is PI8 does not strip EXIF.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2003, 7:56 PM   #5
lg

CompuPic does strip EXIF data.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2003, 2:05 AM   #6

Photo Studio, free/shareware from John Hawkins at www.stuffware.co.uk shows exif data (and much more), and is the only free package I've found so far that allows rotation, resizing, and resaving as camera-friendly jpg.

I can take camera files from my Olympus C3020Z, rework them, and put them on to my Casio QV-5700 camera, so that I can then send them via the PAL output to a lousy quality VHS tape slide show (for my partially-sighted elderly father).

Xnview from Pierre at www.xnview.com is freeware that shows exif data, and leaves it there when you resave the file, but my Casio can't read the files it writes.

Pain Shop Pro 7(typo intended), which I love, doesn't display or write exif data. Version 8 claims to support EXIF, but I'm too mean so far to afford the 40ukpounds upgrade fee.

I haven't found any means yet that will allow pixel editing (e.g., USM sharpening, redeye or 'unperson' removal, and saving in a form that the camera will read, so I'll watch this thread with interest.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2003, 3:04 AM   #7

Thanks all for the replies so far. I'm beginning to think that EXIF retention should be something that's obviously declared in the software features before buying - and something which can be switched on or off on saved files.

Following KCan's reply, I tried the PI8 trial, It doesn't EXIF strip, but seems so much slower at doing tasks like unsharp mask, and I read a lot of bad press about product support and crashes. I'll definitely look into some of the alternatives.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 10:23 PM   #8

Adobe's Photoshop Elements v2.0 (not 1.0) will retain EXIf data and add the Adobe components to it. Adobe's Photoshop Album will strip EXIF data if you use it's internal editor. If you have PSE 2.0 and link it to PS Album, the Exif will be retained only if you edit the image with PSE 2.0.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote