Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 22, 2006, 3:37 AM   #1

I have to Canonn A300 Powershot, im wondering, why when i have a 512 card and when i set the video mode to 640 by something, the best quality, it says i have 8 min of filming, i go ok thats great i can film, it cuts of after 30 seconds.... why? can i change this? Also ive tried the medium quality which cuts of at 3 min, but the quality is considerably poorer.

If their is a way to get around this i would appretiate it alot!
Adamharro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2006, 10:14 AM   #2

Your card is not fast enough. 640x480 high quality video is a lot of information and your card can't accept the information fast enough. After 30 seconds, the internal buffer fills up and the camera stops taking in more video since it doesn't have anywhere to put it.

Fortunately the solution is simple. Buy a high speed card, 1GB at 150X will work wonders for you.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 10:40 AM   #3
Administrator

It doesn't matter what SD card he uses, the A300 is limited to 30 secs of 640x480 video or 3 minutes at 320x240. It is clearly detailed inour review and the Canon specs.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 6:39 PM   #4

I am aware of what its limited to, hence the post i made above, what i was asking is there a way of getting around it?
Adamharro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 10:01 PM   #5

Nope, that info is built into the camera itself. I never understood why Canon chose to do that.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 12:54 PM   #6

steve wrote:
Quote:
It doesn't matter what SD card he uses, the A300 is limited to 30 secs of 640x480 video or 3 minutes at 320x240. It is clearly detailed inour review and the Canon specs.
Thanks for the clarification, and sorry for the incorrect info. In this day and age, I didn't know Canon or any other legit company would actually build in a limit to the amount of video a person can record. I just wrongly assumed this was another case of a slow card trying to capture fast video.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote