Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 26, 2003, 8:33 AM   #1

Default ISO - fast info here!

Please ignore this - if it irritates you in any way!

ISO - INFO!

http://www.hertz-ladiges.com/indexeng.html

Under "thoughts before"
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2003, 12:40 PM   #2

I checked it out of curiousity, and I just thought I'd mention that the picture in the ISO area shows up with an "X" meaning a broken link!
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2003, 12:58 PM   #3

Thanks Mike - I'll appreciate it - really!

When I make the english version I copy the .html file from the danish version and (try to) translate it to english...That was obvious not very good!
Thanks again.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 1:43 AM   #4

ISO default setting surprise
--------------------------------

I've just bought a Casio QV-5700 (for 419 uk pounds), and I had an Olympus C3020Z before that.

To my surprise, I find that while the Olympus defaulted to a sensitivity of ISO100, the Casio sets itself to ISO50. This means that unless I deliberately set the sensitivity higher (up to 800 is available), I'm doubling my risk of camera shake by using my new, better camera in its default modes. I generally used ISO 200ASA or even 400 in my film+filmscanner pre-Olympus days.

There is an 'Auto' sensitivity setting, but that is set by default only in the camera's fully automatic mode. In all the other modes, including 'programmed', ISO50 is set by default. Also, every shot I've taken so far when I set 'auto' sensitivity has automatically set ISO50, regardless of lighting conditions.

Is this a surprise to anyone else? I would have expected many users to get disappointing results with this camera due to camera shake, compared with their results from typical modern film cameras. What do other cameras set as a default sensitivity? A friend with Minolta Dimage7 says that it never sets below ISO100 when it's on 'auto'.

Alan T
Chester, UK
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2003, 3:55 AM   #5

Klaus your site is stunning. I love the info you put up on it about digicams and what everythings does.

Keep up the good work!

Now to go play with my camera's ISO settings......
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2003, 11:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Alan T
Chester, UK
Another Cestrian.

I'm from Elton near Helsby, what about you?
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2003, 4:13 PM   #7

Alan T!

On digicams things doesn't quite works as with analog cameras. This mean that you just can't compare their ISO settings.
On digicams ISO also is different depending on what digicam your'e using.
I.e my Nikon D100 has it's lowest ISO as 200. Does this mean, that my photos are more grainy than your ISO 50 shots ? No - not at all.
To keep it simple (I like that) look at your ISO as a tool to boost your shutterspeed (or get greater DOF) - but also grainy photo with it.
About the camerashake: it's not just the ISO - the lens is also very important.
I've learned (I'm certainly not a pro or anything) from my experience, that you have to try a lot of things to see how your digicam behave. And they all behave different (I have had 6 different digicams - and lots of analog SLRs). So grow with your digicam!
Old Jun 27, 2003, 5:06 PM   #8

Regarding camera shake, shutter speed is a big issue...the lower the shutter speed, the more chance there is for capturing camera shake. The experts recommend trying to stay above 1/30th of a second for handheld shots.

The thing you have to remember is when you increase the telephoto, you also increase the magnification of camera shake. To compensate you need a higher shutter speed (that's why you get the camera shake warning when you increase the zoom even though it was enough light for a wider angle shot). Sometimes you can't get enough speed, and that's when increasing the ISO comes in handy.

(The following is from a message I wrote in the Olympus forum on ISO.)

I've used (higher ISO) for those times where I couldn't use a flash, or I was out of range for the flash, and I needed to keep above 1/30th of a second since I didn't have a tripod to steady the camera. By increasing the ISO you are increasing the gain of the CCD, and by doing so you are also increasing noise...there is a program called NeatImage that's supposed to help clean up this type of photo.

Some samples, this one was taken at ISO800 1/30 f3.5 174mm when I was at the back of an auditorium, at Pbase's medium size it looks very good, but you start to see noise at large and of course original size:
http://www.pbase.com/image/7197445
This one was taken at ISO400 1/20 f3.5 120mm at the same event:
http://www.pbase.com/image/7197443

Digital cameras aren't the only CCD devices with this problem, I know when I turn up the gain on a camcorder for low light situations I also get more noise/grain. Nature of the beast. Normally though I shoot at ISO100, and rarely use ISO200.

- Check out the Oly_C-700 Yahoo Group, for all owners of C-7x0 cameras, 700/720/730/740/750
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oly_C-700/
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2003, 10:00 PM   #9

Thanks for the replies. You've answered my question, Klaus, in revealing that your current Nikon camera stays above ISO200. What were the *default* settings on your other five digicams?

I know that turning up the ISO equivalent sensitivity will increase noise and that telephoto means more camera shake. My point is that I'm surprised that my default setting of 50 is so low, and that I'll have deliberately to turn it up to avoid shake, compared with my last digicam, and with all my non-digital experience.

I'll get four times as much shake on my Casio QV-5700 camera if I just point & shoot as you would on your default IS0200 camera, in the same circumstances. The ISO equivalent sensitivity is just as significant as in non-digital photography; it determines the degree of shake and the depth of focus you'll get for any particular lighting conditions, just as much as it does with film cameras. Further, the noise is a good parallel of film grain, and even looks similar on a pixel scale.

I'm enquiring whether a default of 50 is common (which would surprise me), and concerned that maybe my unusually low default setting is to compensate for noisy electronics in this otherwise excellent camera.

Regards,
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2003, 3:25 PM   #10

to be honest I dont remember, but the camera were Olympus 730, Nikon coolpix 990, fujipix 2800zoom, coolpix 5000 and coolpix 5700. I think around ISO 100.

The ISO can't be compared directly to film ISO. As you say - on digicam the ISO only produces grain. Most of it depends on the type and size of the CCD and very much on the algorithm that calculates the final shot. It's not an industry standard with digicams - as each cameras consist of different electronic and software.

I see ISO just as a tool to get higher shutterpeed or more DOF.
I like to keep things simple.