Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 26, 2003, 5:55 PM   #1
Administrator

Default Sony DSC-P10 vs. Konica KD-500z Opinions, Samples?

I've been looking at "pocketable digicams", and have narrowed my choices down to the Konica KD-500z and the new Sony DSC-P10.

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of reviews and albums available for comparison.

As far as price, they're "a wash".

Featurewise, the Sony appears to have the lead (longer exposures, better movie mode, adjustable saturation/contrast, "sports mode" for faster shutter speeds, 3 shot burst mode, faster focus times).

However, from an image quality perspective, the Konica seems to capture more detail (based on my comparison of images at current reviews: Steves-Digicams.com, megapixel.net, imaging-resource.com).

The Sony seems to have a problem with overblown highlights (although I suspect that dialing down the contrast may help with this problem).

The Konica seems to have the more powerful flash (tests to about the same range as the Sony P-10, only the Sony is increasing ISO to 250 in dark surroundings to get the range, whereas the Konica stays at ISO 100.

Also, the Konica "throttles down" the flash nicely for Macros, whereas the Sony dramatically overexposes macros with flash.

One more point in favor of the Konica: Upgradeable Firmware (now up to Version 1.55a on the KD-500z, with improved white balance and focus compared to when it was reviewed).

Unfortunately, Steve is the only reviewer that has both cameras reviewed, and the lighting in the reviews seemed to favor the Konica (sunny day for most of the shots, which could explain the extra detail in the Konica photos).

Anyway, please post any opinions, samples and album links (from either camera).

P.S. - I'm looking at the deal that dell.com has (expires at 11:00PM CST tonight) on the P-10, so time is critical.

Thanks in advance
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2003, 12:13 AM   #2
Administrator

Well -- decided to order the Sony DSC-P92 at the last minute (literally).

I took advantage of a special at Dell.com -- got the DSC-P92, and a Lexar 256MB Memory Stick for $429.26 (including shipping).

I used the "stackable coupon described on http://www.techbargains.com:

10% off "software and peripharals" + Stackable $45 off $350 coupon code: 1956684A00F0 Exp 11pm CT 6/26 + Free Shipping.

I decided at the last minute that the extra modes in the P10 vs. P92 were not worth the extra bucks (I'd very rarely use 'em), and I liked the movie mode of the Sony P series (as well as the ability to use the optional Sony Lens Adapter (VAD-PEA), and AA Rechargeable Batteries (since I already have some) in the P92.

Besides, the physical dimension differences between the DSC-10 and DSC-P92 are negligible (in fact, the P92 is actually thinner -- 32.6mm vs. the P10's 35.88mm), making it good for "pocketing").

I'll post some photos from this digicam after it arrives.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 2:04 PM   #3
Administrator

Default Buyers Remorse -- Changed order to DSC-P10

Call me "wishy washy"...

I had buyers remorse, so I changed the order...

I'm now getting the Sony DSC-P10 instead of DSC-P92. The DSC-P10 will cost me 50 bucks more (actually, it'll be more than that, since I'll need to order a spare battery too).

Why? I like the ergonomics of the DSC-P10 a little better, and the DSC-P10 has adjustable saturation and contrast, whereas the DSC-P92 does not. Since some of the P-10 photos I've looked at sometimes appear to be too "contrasty", I suspected that the P-92's may also (with no way to adjust contrast on the P92). So, I'll spend a little more money for the P-10, just to be safe.

Downside with the P10: battery life with the Lithium Ion batteries sucks compared to the P-92 battery life with AA's, but I'll live with it.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 4:41 PM   #4

Why not look at other cameras then instead since the proprietary batteries "sucks"...in my books Sony and Konica are very low in status.

As for samples check out Steve's reviews.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2003, 5:49 PM   #5
Administrator

Mike_PEAT:

I want a "pocketable" camera, and my choices are extremely limited in this category. The cameras smaller than the ones I'm looking at don't have the flash range that the Sonys and Konicas do, so I tried to pick the cameras with the best balance of image quality, features, flash range, etc. in this category (pocketable).

I want to be able to carry a camera with me everywhere, without it being too bulky -- where I'm able to keep it in a pocket without it being too obvious.

Unfortunately, many smaller cameras use lithium-ion batteries (just like mobile phones do), because they can pack more power in a smaller package.

Also, ithium ion does have some advantages over NiMH (for example: it's been my experience that the shelf time is greater for holding a charge, compared to AA's when not used). Also, Sony does have a great system for estimating remaining battery life on their cameras that use their "InfoLithium" power system - down to minutes remaining. With AA's it's difficult for the electronics to judge remaining battery life.

Pros and Cons to both types, and sometimes you have to compromise to get everything you want.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 2:35 AM   #6

JimC

Please let us know it works out - I'm considering the p10 but am actually leaning toward a Konica KD-500Z as I want 5MP but even smaller & faster startup time.

Evan
evanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2003, 10:58 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmo
JimC

Please let us know it works out - I'm considering the p10 but am actually leaning toward a Konica KD-500Z as I want 5MP but even smaller & faster startup time.

Evan
Evan:

I ended up buying the Sony DSC-P10, but I returned it the following week. I now own a Konica KD-510z. I really like the Konica (much more than the Sony I returned).. I've got some photos from the Konica here:

http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/konica_kd510z
Old Jul 22, 2003, 10:31 AM   #8

JimC - not sure if the 510 adds anything over the 500, but i've only seen it on eBay & perhaps does not have English labeling?

Possible dealbreaker on the kd-500z -- switching to movie mode takes about 4 button presses on menu? My old cameras just have the spin dial or quick-switch. Prefer that, as I do not carry camcorder & take video clips.
evanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2003, 5:35 PM   #9
Administrator

Evan:

I haven't even tried the movie mode on the Konica. LOL

As far as features, the 510z does add some (multiple ISO choices, longer exposures with noise reduction, manual exposure mode, user adjustable contrast, saturation, etc.). But, I haven't found that I really need the new features yet. The default settings at ISO 100 seem to work the best anyway.

Here's a press release on the KD-510z. It has a list of the features in the new model:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1054620774.html

Update to this post (edit): I just checked how the movie mode works on the Konicas. The Konica will always remember where you were in setup last. So, if you like to take movie clips a lot, you can do it easily go in and out of it with 2 button presses (setup button, right arrow).

When you go into setup, you'll see the Movie Mode menu choice. It's only an on/off switch, and works by simply pressing the right arrow on the 4 way rocker switch. The menu choice changes it's name, depending on whether or not you're in movie mode, then instantly exits out of setup back to the live LCD display when you press right arrow.

For example: you're shooting regular still photos, then want to switch back to movie mode. Press Setup, and then Press the Right Arrow to turn Movie On.

At that point, you'll see a live LCD display again. Only at the top, it'll say "SHUTTER SW:START" and you'll see 00:00 on the display.

When you press the shutter button, the movie recording will start (with the timer showing movie length). When you press the shutter button again, the movie recording will stop and store your movie clip.

You'll still be in movie mode (you can press the shutter again, and you'll start recording) with a live LCD Display.

When you want to take a still photo. Just press the Setup Button ahd Right Arrow again (you'll immediately go to a menu choice that says "Movie OFF ->" so you'll know to press right arrow to turn movie mode off.

When you turn movie mode off, you'll immediately go back to a live LCD again (only you'll be back in still photo recording mode).

This is because setup will always remember where you were in it last (the movie mode choice), and with this particular menu choice, it's just an off/off switch for the mode, and it even exits setup for you without any additional keystrokes.

Heck, it even always uses the right arrow (it just changes the menu choice description from "Movie Off ->" to "Movie On ->" each time you use it to reflect what the right arrow will do (change from still photo to movie recording mode, or vice-versa -- depending on the current mode).

Conclusion. If you use Movie mode often, you can switch back and forth between still photo recording and movie recording with two button presses (setup button, right arrow)

I hope this helps.
Old Jul 22, 2003, 7:13 PM   #10
Administrator

Evan:

P.S.

The Konica will even retain your last setup menu choice when you have the battery removed for charging.

Also, you don't even have to use the right arrow. You can Press the Setup Button twice instead to switch back and forth between movie mode and still photo mode (I just tried it, and it works fine).

As long as you haven't changed anything else in setup since you were on the movie mode choice (and left setup while a different choice was highlighted), two presses of setup will always work fine.

One press of setup will get you to the movie mode switch (movie on or off). Then another button press of the setup button will change the mode and exit setup automatically.