Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 20, 2006, 3:34 PM   #11

I had a very similar experience recently with the same company. I bought what was advertised to be a new camera from them that had a $100 rebate. When I called to confirm, not only did they try to sell me a lot of other accessories that I did not want, but they told me that the camera I ordered would be refurbished and with no warranty. The salesman said that unless I paid another $100 he could not guarantee that the camera would be functioning. He also said that the functions on the LCD would be in Japanese. This of course, was not what I intended to buy, and essentially useless to me. I immediately said that I did not want to confirm my order for anything with them! The salesman threatened to charge me the same outrageous cancellation fee, and whenI informed him of my intention to filea complaint with the bbb, he then became verbally hostile with me. After ending the phone call with him, I checked the manufacturers website, and found that the promised $100 warranty ended last month!

I have since found out that this company operates under many different names and websites. There are hundreds of complaints against them with the better business bureau, however if you only look up http://www.thedigitalexpo.com none have been reported as of yet. According to the bbb website that name has only been registered with them for a short period of time. I have since filed a formal complaint with the Federal Trade Commission against this company. I urge anyone with a similar experience to do the same. The FTC looks for patterns in consumer complaints to determine whether or not to take action against a company. These "bait and switch" tactics fall under the FTC's guidelines for false advertising, and are ILLEGAL. A five minute phone conversation was all it took to file a report with the FTC. Hopefully, if enough people do the same, we can spare other people this same headache in the future.

Anyone who can spare five minutes, and has been scammed can go to http://www.ftc.gov to check out the law and/or file a complaint.
ra1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 10:06 PM   #12

I had a TERRIBLE experience very similar to this today (12/5/06).

They had the best price - supported by my researching 5 to 6other companies - both individual camera supplier websites and those sites that list the lowest 8 or 9 companies/prices.

I saw the same message on my printed Order Receipt- actually by accident hours after I had placed the order on-line - "Please call us to confirm the order...".

I made the call and spoke to a total of (3) people - the 1st time.

The 1st guy immediately began to try a sell me a Memory Card. I respectfully (REALLY) declined stating that I already own one - which is true.

I then, without any notice or warning, got flipped to another guy. He immediately began trying to sell me rechargable batteries. I respectfully declined again stating that I already own these as well - which also is true.

I was then flipped to a 3rd male that asked me if I was sure I wanted a"refurbished" camera and said he could sell me a new one for $42.00 more (from $158 to 200).

I immediately stopped him, though he kept interupting andrefusing to answer my question directly - which was "Where on ANY of the Canon A540 digital camera literature posted on their site, INCLUDING the transaction receipt did it say ANYTHING about refurbished?!!?

After 2-3 times of my attempting to reask the question he mumbled something about cancelling the order and then just HUNG UP ON ME!!

I was shocked (and a little scared since they had all my credit card information and the order had been placed).

I immediately called back. When I asked the man answering for a Supervisor he just grumbled "That's me."

I began VERY CALMLY explaining that I was calling about a potential Better Business Bureau complaint. But before I could even finish that statement I was cut off with "Go ahead, call 'em. I don''t want to hear your story." I couldn't believe it. I said, Sir, don't you even want to hear the story in case there's been a misunderstanding that can be rectified?" But as the last word left my lips he was already starting his rude rant. "You didn't buy any accessories. I'm not making any money. If I'm making $500 off you, then you could talk to me."

Almost like the Soup Nazi he then said something like "No camera for you then". I tried to ask him how he could do this and then be SO rude and TRULY not care but I was then hung up on a 2nd time.

I immediately called my credit card company. The charges had not been posted yet though they assured me I would not be liable for the charges if The Digital Expo tried to bill me.

I HAVE NEVER BEEN TREATED LIKE THIS OR BEEN PREY TO A SCAM LIKE THIS IN MY LIFE (and I'm 44).

By the way "reconditioned" cameras on trhe web - not even Digital Expo's, were cheaper than $158.00 ($166.49 Total). But I'm not interested in anything other than factory-new.

This guy (J.J. he said, during the 2nd call) was the rudest ass I've ever spoken too and TRULY did not care what kind of action I might take. I would never have drempt this would happen since it was a good price but did not seem out-of-line low.

Only a fool would dare deal with the company THE DIGITAL EXPO!!!!!!!!!!!

Stay FAR AWAY www.thedigitalexpo.com!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe I found THIS SITE and ALL THE NEGATIVE PUBLICITY about THE DIGITAL EXPO only after the experience and sdimply by Googling their name.

Sincerely, CaChux 12/5/06
CaChux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 10:01 AM   #13

I also purchased from The Digital Expo which came from The Camera Whiz 83 Ave O Brooklyn N.Y. 11204. I ordered a Sony DCR-SR100 which retails for around $900 at Circuit City and Best Buy. It was $615 at Digital Expo. Yes they do attempt to sell you other things to go along with the camera. I wanted another battery and he talked me into a AC/DC charger which i probably over paid somewhat. I also got talked into a 4 year nationwide warranty for $99 which didn't appear to be too bad if it's worth anything. I ordered on a tuesday afternoon and received it thursday afternoon early. I thought that was super quick. It was a new camera in the box with all the items that went with it. The free case they sent is kind of worthless, barely holds the camera. No room for any accessories. The bottom line is when you order over the internet from these companies, you have to be careful. If you want peace of mine go to Best Buy but you'll pay more because of their overhead, salesmen, storefront etc. I have to admit the shipping part was quick and I did receive the camera.
mdterps1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 9:33 AM   #14

There's another thread on this in one of the other forums on this site, here is my reply from that thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...d=2&page=3

"I dodged the bullet on this website by doing a little research.

My story:

My fiance wants a Casio Exilim EX-Z70 for christmas so I was nosing around for the cheapest price and came across http://www.thedigitalexpo.com which claimed to have it for 179. That's a good 35 bucks cheaper than anywhere else that I've seen, so I was interested, but wary since I suspected that the item might be a refurb.

I checked the fine print all over the camera's info on that site and found nothing mentioning that it was refurbed. I clicked to order the camera and a red flag went up when they wanted 35 dollars for 3 day shipping. I filled out all my info to make a 'new account' but before pressing the submit button I got the itch to call based on that high shipping fee.

I wanted to make sure the camera wasn't a refurb. I dialed the guy up and sat on hold for 11 minutes. I got frustrated waiting (and suspsicious since the automated answer didn't mention a company name, just saying 'thank you for calling' red flag) so I hung up and called back, this time a man answered.

I started out by saying that basically 'I don't know your website so I just wanted to see if I could get some background info from you about your site before I submit my online order' and he replied 'Then don't order from me then'. I was shocked.

He went on to tell me that he didn't have time to sit here and convince me to order from him, that he had plenty of orders already and didn't need mine. I was shocked. I asked him if he called this customer service. He snorted and said that he had over three thousand orders waiting and didn't need to worry about customer service. I was shocked. Stunned. He told me that he didn't have time to go through his company history. He told me to check the web if I wanted to find out about his company. He said that there were over 3000 reviews of his site being a good site on the web and that I should 'do my own research' and find them.

So I did. And I found this thread. And through this thread I found the resellerratings website. And I was so glad I didn't hit submit. I clicked back to the tab with my order info (firefox) and cleared it out. I am so relieved that I found this site and did not order from that maniac. I'm also glad that my intuition told me to call before ordering to get some company background. If I hadn't done that, I guess I'd be another sucker posting about getting ripped off.

I can't believe that joker is still in business. Insane."
DMCFZRichie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 2:39 AM   #15

I ordered a camcorder from TheDigitalExpo.com, and was a bit surprised when my confirmation email said that I had to call an 800 number to confirm my order. When I called, the friendly guy on the other end of the line tried to sell me some high priced accessories (long life batteries, etc.) I said no thank you. The next day, I received an email saying that my order was cancelled, because of a backorder. I checked their web site, and it was still listed as available...

I posted the whole story at: http://www.complaintsboard.com/compl...com-c3063.html

This company is a Baiting Scam!
ElizabethA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 7:12 PM   #16

Yeah, I did the same thing. I found the canon camera that I wanted and thedigitalexpo.com had the best price.I ordered it before checking for complaints. After reading complaint after complaint, I was wishing I hadn't placed the order. Now, 2 weeks later, I still don't have my camera, they have a recording that says they are closed, and when I entered my order number, it said there was no pending order with that number. What a class act they are. I hope when the recording said they were closed, it meant for good.
Jack1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 3:25 PM   #17

Stupid me. I did not find this forum until after ordering last night December 26th. I got my email this morning stating that the order could not be filled and was canceled. Has anyone been charged after their order being canceled? I, too, did not need the memory card or anything else so I guess I was "weeded out". I have called my credit card company and checked online and have not been charged, but I am nervous after reading all of these horrible reviews. Kelly
kellyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 3:42 PM   #18

Or even better find out where the guy lives go round and punch his face in!!!!!
wrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 6:20 PM   #19

I cannot believe this, i wish i checked this site before attempting to purchase. This group should be investigated by the FTC. I ordered a camcorder and they immediately called and try the UPSALE technique. When after 10 minutes of pushing on their side and my NO! NO! and NO!. They siad "Go to Hell" and we are going to cancel your order and charge you 100 dollars. I immediately called my Credit card company and put them on warning. No bill as of yet. I CAN't BElieve that they can get away with this.
jopajopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 6:31 PM   #20

Lucky for you...So Far....If enough People complain then something will be done as it comes under consumer rights act in Britain and you can be assured the Americans have got something like it!!!

Go online and check your Government Policy's regarding this matter...Then get enough People to complain to whoever and slowly but surely...Something will be done!!!

Or my Personal Favourite.....Find out where they are and take a Baseball bat with you if you get my drift..!!

Goodluck

Wrams
wrams is offline   Reply With Quote