Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 5, 2006, 6:15 PM   #1

I stupidly didn't do my research on this company; only AFTER my horrible experience I searched the web. I had found the best price for the Canon camera I wanted at everyprice.com, which should also be avoided from what I now hear. Lowest price was at thedigitalexpo.com. It looked normal, and I filled in my order and credit card info. Then it said "call to confirm order." When I did that, this guy tried to sell me a bunch of stuff I didn't want, and he was so annoying I asked him to cancel the order. He said it was too late, and I would be charged 25% of the total order as a cancellation fee! I said, "But I was calling to confirm, and I did not confirm!" He said I had placed the order and that was that. I asked to talk to a supervisor, and he said I'm not talking to anybody, and hung up on me! I called back to the 800 number and got the same guy again. He said I would be charged over $100 as a cancellation fee, and hung up on me again. I called my credit card company immediately. My advice, avoid digitalexpo, thedigitalexpo.com, and also everyprice.com. The worst thing is it just ruined my day, he was so rude, and now I have to spend a bunch of time trying to warn other people about them.
drivin325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2006, 4:09 PM   #2

What you should do in this situation is immediately call your credit card company and dispute the charge. You will not be charged and that company will have to answer a bunch of questions from the credit card company and possibly have it's privileges frozen.
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 4:12 PM   #3

It might not be too late to do it now. Hey it's worth a try. I personally have never had to do this but my sister has and it worked for her.
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:13 PM   #4
Administrator

Go here first and check out the dealer's feedback rating:

http://www.resellerratings.com

Before placing an online order.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 8:01 PM   #5

Holy cow! I just read the reviews for this place. I've never seen so many negative reviews in my life. How do these guys stay in business?

And it seems like they have "the soup Nazi" from Seinfeld working the phones. Every review (THREE pages of them) has a tale of incredibly rude treatment on the phone. The scam was always the same: phone to confirm and be pressured into buying something like $180.00 battery and charger. If you cancel your order, you're charged and outrageous fee. If you want to receive your item but refuse to buy the accessories, your item suddenly goes out of stock.

I was dumbstruck by the stories I read.

This is the kind of place that usually sets up for business during the weekend, then skips town and has their phones disconnected before the start of the week. It's hard to believe that this is an ongoing business.
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:53 PM   #6
Administrator

Now you know why we call them Crooklyn NY dealers
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 5:34 PM   #7

I too became a victim of this "company". 10/29 I found the sony camera I wanted at their cheapest price. Initially I called to ask some questions (shipping time -which I was told was 5-7 days) and I asked if the camera was new.. and was told yes. The operator "Jake" asked if I wanted to make my order over the phone. I started to, but he kept getting telling me a different camera model. The connection wasn't great either, so I told him I was going to do my order over the internet. He got rude and "counseled" me on letting the operator know up front if I was going to do my order over the internet... I should have figured it out here, but I didn't.

So, I did my order online and called the number to "confirm". It was then I was informed that this was a refurbished unit. When I said there was nothing online stating this and that I had also called to ask about this prior to making my order, the man told me that they didn't have to advertise that it was refurbished and that I had "misunderstood" when I asked if the camera was new. He then tried to push a memory card on me, saying if I purchased it then he would give me a "new" camera at the same price. When I told him I wanted to check around for prices on the cards, he got angry at me and told me I had 2 minutes to decide. When I asked to speak with a manager, he told me he was the owner. I then asked him his name... he told me it was "none of my business!" I expressed my opinions about his operation... (he didn't care). I told him I wanted to cancel my order. He said "good luck finding your camera" and said he was sending a cancellation email out immediately. (I haven't seen it). I did cancel my credit card as well.
mattcom693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:00 AM   #8

I had the same problem as you.
I found they tried to scam me, The camera was advertised at $215.00
So I checked with the lowest price, and saw that 5 gold stars and 1300 letters of reccomendation, was connected to this site. so I assumed that it was a legite company.
The guy was very rude to me when I refuse to buy a camera that he offered for $285.00 plus he tried to sell me a memory card. I did not want the camera he offered and told me the one i ordered was a refurbished one, I asked him what the warranty period was and he got really nasty and slammed the phone down.
I cheched back on line and saw he had all my details of my credit card. I had to get in touch with my credit card company and cancell my card.
This guy has a problem and it is a scam.

Rebel
Rebel10647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 10:32 AM   #9

DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY www.thedigitalexpo.com. [/b]THEY ONLY LIST THE REFURBISED PRICE. THEN THEY TRY TO SELL THE NEW ONE AT A MUST HIGHER PRICE. THEY DO NOT SAY ANYWHERE ON THIER WEB SITE THAT THE CAMERAS ARE REFURBISED .THE HAVE THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE. I HAVE TO CANCELL MY CREDIT CARD BECAUSE THEY WOULD NOT CONFIRMED THEY CANCELLED MY ORDER.
jack90098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 3:54 PM   #10

I highly suggest going to http://www.bbb.com (Better Business Bureau) and filing a complaint. This may not help you, since you have alread dealt with them, but it may help someone else. Whenever I find a store that I've never heard of, I always check the BBB and to my surprise, this company hasn't had any complaints in the lat 36 months.

It's a pain for us to do, but it gets the word out.

Dave

Just for fun, I looked at one of thier listings for a 20D and they give you an option to buy a "Pro High Capacity Battery" for the low low price of $249 bucks. That's not bad for a "Super Duper High Pro High Capacity Battery" but for just a "Pro High Capacity Battery" it's a little much. I checked on BH Photo and the most expensive battery I could find was only about $120.

I thinkI will do all my holiday shopping at thedigitalexpo. :?
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote