Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 29, 2006, 8:37 PM   #1

I was thinking about buying a new dslr until I read something about cleaning the dust off the sensor. It sounded like a story from hell. Is the problem so bad that it will ruin the pleasure of owning these types of cameras? I dont need more problems in my life. I just want to take great pictures. C. W.
dwtbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2006, 8:44 PM   #2

Do a Forums search for "sensor cleaning". It's not that hard with the right swabs & solution....
Old Dec 29, 2006, 8:50 PM   #3

I've had a dSLR for almost a year, and change lenses all the time. I've had dust on my sensor periodically and all I've had to do is use a hand air blower to blow it off. Takes a couple of seconds to do. I've heard of people having some dust that won't come off with a quick blow and have had to clean their sensor - there are kits made to do it. I don't know how difficult it is to use them because I haven't had a need yet. One of these days I should pick up one of the cleaning kits, but I'm not in any hurry to get one.

You can minimize the amount of dust your camera is exposed to by having the next lens ready to put on and slip it over the opening as you remove the other one, not having the camera pointing upwards (downwards is best but not always practical) and by making sure you have your back to the wind!!!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 8:54 PM   #4

I had my Canon 300d for two years now. No dust issues. I did not ever have to clean it. I have one lens on the camera 99% of the time. dust does not get in.
I know that there are people who's work is to shoot fabric samples - for them if they are changing lens in the process dust is a big issue.
unless you have to shoot sand storms and change lense while at it - you don't have to worry about dust
all DSLR cameras have a feature to lock the mirror up while giving you access to the glass that covers the sensor (you have to take the lens off to see that )
some brush the dust off with a special soft brush some blow it off with compressed air. you can buy all that at any camera store. by the way - normally mirror covers the sensor and takes most of the dust , mirror is very easy to clean - just take off the lens and brush the dust off it.
but honestly - dust is the least of your concerns while using DSLR and no concern if you only have one lens that sits on your camera all the time.
O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 9:42 PM   #5

And several of the newer SLRs have shakers that clean off their sensors. The Sony Alpha and Canon Rebel XTI has it.
Sneezy1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 9:55 PM   #6

Thanks for your replies. I feel a lot better now about making the plunge. C. W.
dwtbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:50 PM   #7

your greatest regret with DSLR would be that you haven't gotten it earlier
O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote