Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 31, 2006, 8:18 AM   #1

is there a big difference in pictures with an 8mp as opposed to 10mp. thinking of getting A640 or 630
shotz216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2006, 9:10 AM   #2

Yes, if the 10 mp camera has the same size sensor as the 8 mp camera (as in the case of the A630 vs. A640), then the camera with 10 mp will normally exhibit more noise in low light situations. There would be no real favorable improvement in picture quality between 8 and 10 mp - not that you could see, anyway. For most people, 4-5 mp is more than enough. Here's an example of a comparison between a 10 mp camera and a 6 mp camera taken at ISO 800...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona640/page14.asp

Shouldn't the 10 mp camera have a clearer picture?

Hope I cleared that up for you.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 9:14 AM   #3

shotz216 wrote:
Quote:
is there a big difference in pictures with an 8mp as opposed to 10mp. thinking of getting A640 or 630
Depends on numerous factors. Two important ones are 1) how large a print are you going to make? Obviously the larger the image to more digital info you want (especially if cropping). If you're just making 4x6's I think the point is moot. 2) Consider the optics (i.e., the lens). I'd rather have 8MP on a sharp lens than 10MP on a soft one.

stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 9:52 AM   #4

All else equal (it never is), the largest size print that can be made increases in linear dimension by the square root of the ratio of pixels. In this case, there would be an 11.8% increase in size. Nice to have, but not enough to get excited about.

In almost all cases, other difference between the cameras will be much more important than the difference in pixel count.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote