Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 1, 2007, 2:15 PM   #1
PvB

I don't know if this question has been asked and answered before, but I'd like to restore the EXIF data to my photos after saving them in Neat Image (the demo version). I had noticed quite a while ago that most of my photos were without their EXIF data whilest others still retained it (this was because not all photos required noise reduction). The main reason I have for wanting to keep the data is the date/time. Most of my photos can't be sorted according to date/time anymore (though they can still be sorted correctly by name, which is how I sort them on my computer). If I send them to some-one who wants to put them in albums according to date, the EXIF info needs to be attached (it happened once after a 5 day schooltrip to England. Those photos are now in a random order).

I can copy and paste the EXIF data into a text document and save it as a separate file, but it would be nicer to have it attached to the image itself.
Anyone know how to reattach the saved EXIF data?
PvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2007, 4:03 PM   #2

Look for a program called Exifer. It allows editing and modification of Exif data, as well as restoration after editing. If you don't want to overwrite your original, you can save the exif and write it back to the saved picture, even if renamed to something completely different.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 5:26 PM   #3
PvB

Brain, thank you for the tip.

I've found and downloaded the program, but so far I've only managed to add the date and time. I still don't know how to add data such as the shutter speed, the F-stop used, information regarding the flash, etc. This is for a photo that I processed in Neat Image before I started this thread. Do I have to make a backup with Exifer BEFORE using Neat Image or can I just copy the data to a program such as Notepad, save it and restore the data to the image later? If I can do the latter, could some-one tell me how?
Old Jan 1, 2007, 9:51 PM   #4

Most photo editing programs "eat" the EXIF data once you edit a file. The best bet might be to download the pictures, read the EXIF data BEFORE any editing goes on. Always edit a COPY of your pictures. Once you start editing a file, the EXIF information is outdated, anyway.

EXIF information is a great training aid. It'll help you with the next picture.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 9:59 PM   #5

Try saving the exif data to a file using exife.
then load the other file you want to restore it into and load the file you just saved.

At least, this is what I remember... it's been awhile since I needed to do this.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 10:01 PM   #6

PvB wrote:
Quote:
Brain, thank you for the tip.

I've found and downloaded the program, but so far I've only managed to add the date and time. I still don't know how to add data such as the shutter speed, the F-stop used, information regarding the flash, etc. This is for a photo that I processed in Neat Image before I started this thread. Do I have to make a backup with Exifer BEFORE using Neat Image or can I just copy the data to a program such as Notepad, save it and restore the data to the image later? If I can do the latter, could some-one tell me how?
If you did a normal save with Neat Image, it would have saved the pic with an appended "_filtered". If you chose to overwrite, then the original Exif is gone. If this is the case, one solution would be to copy the exif from another picture shot with the same parameters and insert it into the first pic, then edit to correct the data.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 1:25 PM   #7
PvB

Thanks for all your help:-) I've worked out how to restore all the data. Picasa2 and Irfanview don't erase the metadata, so I make a backup of the data just before using Neat Image. After replacing the file (doesn't take up as much space on my pc) with the result from Neat Image I use Exifer to restore the metadata.