Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 28, 2003, 12:04 PM   #1

Default What's going to equal my N65 in digital?

I was initially looking for something v small. Got the casio exilim. The pics suck when printed up (professionally, not on my printer). I'm going to go back to the shop to see if it's something i'm doing, but seriously, it's really bad.

I need a point and shoot (my kids move too fast to mess around with settings). Mostly shooting the kids, mostly outdoors, some indoors......printing up pics, emailing pics and tiny movies to grandma etc.

I'd like the smallest *that I can get* while still having quality comprable to my N65 (which isn't amazing compared to what's out there, but it's definitely good enough for us)

Should I still be looking at the panasonic lumix with the 12x lens? The online samples I've seen and compared look really great compared to the OptioS, the Exilim Z3, the A70 and the couple others I've compared it too.

Thanks so much,
cillakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2003, 7:18 PM   #2

Default Asking the wrong question

If you're looking for pure image quality you won't find it in a digicam that comes anywhere close to the N65's price. Remember the camera has little to do with the final image quality. It's a dark box to attach a lens and a film plane to. To equal the quality of 35mm film and a good Nikkor lens you'll have to plunk down a wheelbarrow of dough on something like a D100.

Some will tell you that a high end prosumer digicam like a Dimage 7 is the equal but don't belive it for a second. I have a dimage 7, one of the better digicams but I never fool myself into thinking it's as good as a film camera.

If you never make prints over 4x6 then it's a different matter. Any number of 2-3mp digicams will do well at that print size.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2003, 9:49 PM   #3

Well, I could live with not making any prints bigger than 4x6. In the 4y that I've had my N65, I've never made anything larger than that. I'm lucky to get my film developed at all

I only use my N65 as a point and shoot. Have no idea what to do with the rest of it, but even just as a point and shoot, the pics are just so good. I look better in prints taken from pics in that camera, than any other camera....colors look richer. I look like I have more color in my skin than I do. Never washed out.

Anyhoo, okay, so if I stick with 4x6 prints, what's a really good digicam in the $450-550 range? DH now wants to get the D100 but heck, for something that big, I might as well stick with my N65......

The clarity/details/colors in the auto mode on the Exilim 3Z just weren't going to cut it........so i'll go larger to get a better camera....

An thoughts on the Minolta S414? Sony P10? Finepix S602zoom? Finepix f601?

oh man, I just need to jump in and buy something.

Thanks for the advice though on not expecting from the digital what I expect from the SLR. DH said the same thing and I didn't believe him

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

katherine in atl
cillakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2003, 10:24 PM   #4

If you are looking for warmer colors, the Fuji lineup will definitely give you that. There is an overall orange cast to shots taken with a Fuji SCCD. I presume it is intentional on Fuji's part.

I own an F601 and am pretty happy with it. It takes great pictures and is small enough to take anywhere (nowhere near as small as the Exilim or Optio S, though). There are some bugs with it (lens retraction is buggy) and it is not clear how much support Fuji is planning on giving it in the future (it is not sold at the camera superstore across the street anymore).

Have you thought about the Fuji F410?
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2003, 2:27 AM   #5

katherine ,

Although the Panasonic Fz1 is not the smallest camera on the market , it is small and light and it does have a realy great lens. I have produced A4 prints from this camera for a client who was more than happy with the results.
It maintains its f2.8 aperture across whole of the range from 35 to 420mm. It focuses fast and can take up to four pictures in a second. Ideal for photographing active children.
David Elson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2003, 3:11 AM   #6

Frankly I'm amazed at the quality of output of the Panasonic FZ1 considering it only has a 2MP imager.

It's gotta be that lens!
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2003, 4:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren
Frankly I'm amazed at the quality of output of the Panasonic FZ1 considering it only has a 2MP imager.

It's gotta be that lens!
Other cameras like the Olympus C-2100 (10x zoom with IS) and the C-700 (10x zoom no IS) also take great pictures considering they are only 2mp.

But the lens of the Panasonic is a Leica.

The biggest thing of course is to have it in the right hands.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2003, 6:50 AM   #8

The panasonic is anything but small. It is EXTREMELY front heavy due to that massive lens and feels awkward to hold because of it. 2mp are not enough (I think 3mp is what is needed here) and it has hardly any manual control.

IMHO, if you have the money, consider the Canon G3 .... so many other cameras won't take good shots of your kids because there is no AF lamp to assisst focus in dim light. I own a fuji 3800 and it takes wonderful photos when the conditions are right but i wopuldn't recommend it for a lot of fast past indoor photos with kiddies jumping about.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2003, 8:15 AM   #9

In my limited experience - I'm new to digicams, only had my Canon A70 for app 6 weeks or so, the gap between 35mm and my experience with the A70 is massive.

The difference in image quality is somewhat greater than I had expected/bargained for.

I'd be interested to see if this improves over next 3-5 years as technology advances or whether this is a limitation of digital photography.

That said I have seen some pretty good looking images online so maybe it's the A70.

Stef
stefank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2003, 12:21 PM   #10

Default Massive lens

Are we talking about the same camera Alfisti.
Do you know what massive means. Have you ever held a pro 35mm camera with a 400 mm lens attached. Have you ever owned a medium format camera like a Hasselblad or are you judging it against Micky Mouse cameras that fit in a shirt pocket.
For a normal person the FZ1 is easy to hold, fast to use and that Leica lens is realy sharp, showing up many 3 megapixel cameras.
And yes I have used it for photographing very active grand children. No problems at all and when presented with the photos their parents were delighted.
By the way I also own Nikon and Hasselblad systems.
David Elson is offline   Reply With Quote