Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 5, 2007, 12:43 PM   #1

I'm trying to sell my Pentax DSLR, and want to try my luck at a used camera store. What is the best way of finding them, especially ones that also sell Pentax cameras?
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2007, 1:26 PM   #2

Check out keh, they sell used camera equipment and have a good reputation. As far as (relatively) local, you might try Samys Camera (various SoCal locations, check their website, thought they had one in Santa Barbara but could be wrong about that). I don't know if they still do much as far as used cameras any more, but they used to, and they do carry Pentax. If you are really desperate, you could always come down to L.A. when they have the monthly camera shows (think they are in Culver or CenturyCity now, there's also a small one once a month in Pasadena at the Elks Lodge) and talk to the vendors. I wouldn't expect the dealers that sell there to give you much, though. After that, try the phone book for camera stores in your area.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 2:06 PM   #3

B&H also deals in used stuff.
www.bhphotovideo.com

But KEH is the classic... the first place I'd start.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 3:27 PM   #4

Illuminati wrote:
Quote:
I'm trying to sell my Pentax DSLR, and want to try my luck at a used camera store. What is the best way of finding them, especially ones that also sell Pentax cameras?
Take it from someone who did that alot back in the days prior to the internet and eBay with film cameras because there was little else to do other than pay for an ad in the newspaper or Shutterbug magazine...you will never get value for goods in a trade with, or sale toa camera store.

In situations where you are trading to a dealer you are in effect, a wholesaler of used equipment, and that's what you'll get...wholesale on the USED price, whichmay turn out tobeas little as25%of what you paid originally.Being a digital product,it couldeven beless since you are dealing with "old" stuff in digital terms. At least with film cameras you can take a good condition, 10 year old camera and load it with the latest technology film.

EVERYONE wants the latest and greatest, so the dealer is going to look at what you've got and he's got to ask the question "how long is this going to sit in my shop?". If it's a second-hand Canon 1Ds, he may turn it around within a couple of weeks, so he/she would be willing to pay the original owner more. I have no idea what the market is for second-hand Pentax DSLR's. The "hot" ones are the new K100D and K10D, so who knows how long he might have to keep an istD or istDs before he could sell it. That will affect what he's willing to pay you.

Be prepared to accept much less so you won't be disappointed if you go this route. It never works out better than selling it yourself. There's nothing like standing at the counter and trying to hide the disbelief in your face when they tell you what they'll pay you for your equipment.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote