Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 6, 2007, 1:48 PM   #1

Hi,

Hope someone can help me. Took couple pictures with my brother in law when he was hitting the sand bag. I set the camera to Sports Mode, when i press the sutter button, it continues the shooting, but the pictures came out blurry. I have seen others with the fast moving object, they were able to freeze the action, but mine is horrible. How do I correct the problem. I am using the 20D EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM

Is my lens not fast enough for those shots? What is your recommendation?

Here are the pictures.

I was hoping to get result like this.

Ceddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2007, 2:40 PM   #2

From the exif data, it looks like sports mode used f/4, 1/160, and ISO 400.

To get a faster shutter, you should be able to shoot at a higher ISO. Even at ISO 800, the shutter in that light would be 1/320, which might give a decent shot. For best results try setting it at ISO 1600 for that shot. That should be enough to get a shutter that would freeze that action.

You're right near the limits with that lens, but it should be bright enough there. With much less available light, you might need a brighter lens.

Of course, for best results in that situation, you could also just use a flash. But I assume you want to test it out in low light without flash.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 2:45 PM   #3

Ceddy,

The shots are blurry because the shutter speed is too slow - 1/160. You want 1/500. You'll need to get out of sports mode to get the shot though.

Put camera in AV mode

Set aperture to f4

Set ISO to 1600

Set focus mode to AI-Servo (camera directions will tell you how to set all this)

Set shooting mode to continuous.

Now - that will get you better shutter speeds - about 1/640. But you still have a problem - the light from the window and the garage is really distracting and it's causing your camera to underexpose. I would suggest trying to cover the window - the light is behind your subject so not really helping you. Also, if it's bright like this I suggest putting Exposure Compensation at +2/3 (again look at your manual) - If you were going to get 1/640 this will drop the shutter speed down to 1/400. Not ideal, but better to get a good exposure - there will be less noise when you post process.

Also - shoot with the camera in portrait orientation - the action is more vertical than horizontal and you'll remove a lot of dead space that way.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 3:06 PM   #4

Thanks JohnG and kenbalbari, I will definitely give it a try. As for using the Sports mode, I notice that I can't adjust the shutter speed, the camera adjust itself right?

I will try the AV mode and change the ISO setting to higher.

Regards
Cedric

Old Jan 6, 2007, 11:14 PM   #5

The photo of the car and the dog are very different than the sand bag picture. Did you use a flash? You might be able to keep the ISO low if you had more light. You can use Tv mode to set the shutter speed instead.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 11:47 AM   #6

Did you mean the Car and the dog pictures were using Flash with TV mode?
I think I get confused. Should I really use the AV mode or the TV mode for this type of action shots.

pagerboy wrote:
Quote:
The photo of the car and the dog are very different than the sand bag picture. Did you use a flash? You might be able to keep the ISO low if you had more light. You can use Tv mode to set the shutter speed instead.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 11:56 AM   #7

Ceddy wrote:
Quote:
Should I really use the AV mode or the TV mode for this type of action shots.

I wouldn't suggest using TV at all. Here's why:

If you aren't going to use flash, and you use TV mode, you may select a shutter speed that the camera cannot give you a good exposure for - for instance, if you set the shutter speed to 1/2000 the camera can't deliver a proper exposure - all it can do in TV mode is adjust the aperture - once that aperture gets to F4 it can't go any farther. So TV is a poor choice for low-light action without flash.

On the other hand, AV mode says give me the BEST shutter speed for my aperture - if you set the aperture to f4 you will get the BEST shutter speed the camera can give you while still delivering a proper exposure. So of the two modes, this option garantees a better exposure.

Now, if you are using an external flash - I recommend setting the camera in manual mode. Set aperture to F4 and shutter speed to 1/250 with the flash in ETTL.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 3:32 PM   #8

All good advice above, but do your really want to stop the motion in those shots? Some motion blur would seem to add to the picture.

On thing you should look for in your camera flash options is a something like "second curtian trigger". That will set off the flash as the shutter closes so there can be a motion blur and a sharp image. Of course it will take some experimenting and reading to get the ambient/flash light ratio right.

I doubt you want to use the same technique used in your second example showing panning a race car. The car is sharp while the background and wheels show motion blur. Do you really want the hand/fist sharp while everything else blurs? Might be interesting though.

Your last example of the dog shows another way you might get the photo you want: set up the sand bag outdoors in full sunlight.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 9:25 AM   #9

Bill touched on exactly what I was thinking.
I don't believe you want to stop all motion. Yes, you want a better picture (a flash would help a lot, or moving out to where there is more light) but a fully-stopped stop-motion shot might look a little odd.

A little motion blur would probably look better. But experiment - try for both effects (by lowering the shutter speed a bit over a series of pictures) and see what you think.

Part of the fun of digital is that its cheap to experiment (And you see the results of that experiment faster!)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 4:35 PM   #10

Thanks for your advise eric and bill. So you feel that little motion blur on the above pictures i took looks ok to you guys?

I do agree that sometimes that motion blur effect will add a nice feel to that pictures, in another words, if I just want to freeze his action like kicking the sand bag, I can just tell him to post or act like kicking right?

I am still a newbie to my 20D, just want to experience more technics on taking nice pictures.

For the dog's and sports car picture, what exactly setting should I be using on my 20D? AV or TV? This is what I don't get it clear on how it works.

Also i got problem reading the display, lets say for shutter speed 1/500 or 1/1000, what number will it show on the display when using AV or TV mode?

I tried the set to TV mode last night in my room and it reads the shutter speed with number like 8" ....etc. how does 8" compare to number like 1/500 or something like that.

Regards
CED

eric s wrote:
Quote:
Bill touched on exactly what I was thinking.
I don't believe you want to stop all motion. Yes, you want a better picture (a flash would help a lot, or moving out to where there is more light) but a fully-stopped stop-motion shot might look a little odd.

A little motion blur would probably look better. But experiment - try for both effects (by lowering the shutter speed a bit over a series of pictures) and see what you think.

Part of the fun of digital is that its cheap to experiment (And you see the results of that experiment faster!)

Eric