Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 9, 2007, 8:00 AM   #1

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a new lens, heres the 2 i'm interested in:

Sigma 50-500mm

Tamron 200-500mm

Which is the better lens for wildlife and landscape..???

Please can someone get straight back to me as i need to go Purchase it "NOW"!!!

Thanks.
wrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:30 PM   #2

I can't speak from personal experience, but I know people who have the 50-500 and they win national (US) contests with that lens. Of course, they are quite good to begin with.

The 200-500 is fairly new (I think) and I don't know anyone who has it. Looking at www.photozone.de, it looks like the Tamron is sharper but slower focusing and has more distortion at the long end. Since you're buying it more for the long end, I think I'd stick with the Sigma.

Maybe someone here has the 200-500 and can comment about its performance on the 500mm end.

Don't neglet the tripod and head you'll get. Depending on how much you hike, you definitely will want something quite stable and not very heavy. And that means a lot of money.

Eric

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:49 PM   #3

THanks Eric,

I went online to read the reviews on the Tamron 200-500mm and most of the reviews were quite good saying it was better than the Sigma 50-500mm

I think like you said at the long end it's not as sharp...But...I also read that it's not noticable...Something like 0.05 or below what ever that means..???

As i wanted to know earlier i went ahead and bought the Tamron for £619.00 from Bristol Camera Company the cheapest shop in Britain...Jessops wanted £680.00 and the Camera Exchange wanted £699.99 which is quite a big saving...
Thanks for helping

P.S Youare the 1st reply and i wanted to get it before they ran out of stock (Limited Stock) only!!!

Thanks again...

Old Jan 9, 2007, 8:29 PM   #4

After you put it through some testing, post what you think about the lens.
Make sure to test it at different f-stops.
I recommend taking a picture of something like a newspaper. They have lots of edges (the test) so they are a decent test for sharpness.

My real fear, for the wildlife photography, is the slow autofocus. Sharpness is a question of standards... but slow autofocus is the difference between getting the picture and not.

Where did you see the reviews? I don't really trust most of the magazines any more because they depend on sigma (and others) for advertising... so they rarely give a bad review. It's almost like they write in code.... an "ok" review is actually bad, a "good" review is only ok, and so on. Maybe not every mag is like that, but some definitely are.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 4:44 AM   #5

Hi Eric,

All i done was put Tamron 200-500mm lens Review into a Google Search Engine and it came up with about 80 pages so i read the first 7 pages from different sites....

I agree with the slow Auto Focus...If need be i'll use Manual Focus which might be Quicker...I seem to get it spot on in Manual very Quickly...I'll experiment ok

Wrams