Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 9, 2007, 8:25 AM   #1

What sort of method do you guys use to select the right picture frame? I have the worst time when it comes to selecting one.
Kaspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2007, 7:51 PM   #2

My wife tells me which one I like.
docmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 11:36 PM   #3

First, I see what I have that fits (very important - 8x10 pic is not at it's best in a 5x7 frame) , then, I choose material suitable for the subject, ( ie, natural wood for most landscapes, fancy silver or gold for wedding portraits). Color should either complement or contrast, depending on the effect you are after. (contrasting color give a more dramatic effect) I also like to use a mat whichpicks up on a color in the picture.

Usuallly, I go with what I have on hand that looks good. I often try several combinations, especially if it is for sale or public presentation.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 9:29 AM   #4

I go a slightly different route that VTphotog.

I go with something simple and non-distracting. This is because I have no idea what the space is like that the image will be hung in ('cause I sell images.) So I do something simple that lets the image shine and then not worry about it if they reframe it.

Therefor I go with a simple thin black or silver metal frame with a white or cream matte. I don't like double-beveled mattes (or whatever they are called. I like a simple angled cut on the inside of the matte, not a two-layer effect.)

But you're use might not be the same as mine. I think that VTphotog's comments are useful though. Do you want the frame to hold the picture in (be contrasting to it) or to match up or complement it (related colors)?

How will the picture fit in the space you're putting it?

Those are the things I would consider.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 12:06 PM   #5

what i have found out over time is that the best people for deciding are the people who frame them professionaly

i do know that having stuff pro framed is expensive but it really is the best way to get the best out of your photos.

framers have little samples of matt and frames that the can try with your photo to get best results, get it wrong and it will kill a photo.

if you are hoping to get more framed tell a framer he will give u discount, im just sorting a deal out with a gallery and framers, and get trade prices for my framing

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 4:27 PM   #6

You do see the common theme here though. Pictures always look better in a matted frame. I have actually bought a lot of frames at auctions and garage sales then when it comes time to frame one of my photos I will go through what I have 1st to see if I have something that works well. I have picked up some very nice expensive frames for next to nothing.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 1:46 PM   #7

docmoon wrote:
Quote:
My wife tells me which one I like.
LOL, :-)
Old Jan 14, 2007, 1:46 PM   #8

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions.