Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 9, 2007, 6:31 PM   #1

How is it that the Fujifilm S3/S5 can be "built on Nikon D200 technology"? Their camera bodies are virtually idential. Does Nikon own Fujifilm? Clearly it was Nikon that came out with the "D200 body" first. Even Fujifilm sales rep admit this...that their cameras are "built on D200 tech"...if reluctantly.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2007, 9:25 PM   #2

Fuji has concluded that it is cheaper to license portions of the D200 design from Nikon than develop their own.

Are they right? Only they will know. It is not cheap to design a camera... but it isn't cheap to license it either.

Fuji has done this several times now, so they seem to like doing it. It lets them concentrate on other things (like different sensor designs... for example, the sensor in the S3 was quite different than what others have.)

I'm sure part of the agreement between them was that the D200 would come out first.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 10:39 PM   #3

eric s wrote:
Quote:
Fuji has concluded that it is cheaper to license portions of the D200 design from Nikon than develop their own.

Are they right? Only they will know. It is not cheap to design a camera... but it isn't cheap to license it either.

Fuji has done this several times now, so they seem to like doing it. It lets them concentrate on other things (like different sensor designs... for example, the sensor in the S3 was quite different than what others have.)

I'm sure part of the agreement between them was that the D200 would come out first.

Eric
Hello Eric,

Licensing designs and features...hmmm...what have the suits at Nikon been drinking? Bad "Sake"? I used to be a "Nikonian" in that my first film camera was a Nikon FE. I also have a Nikkormat. Decent cameras back in the day. But some where along the way Nikon has done some major reworking of their business plan.

Like having cameras, lenses and other gear made outside of Japan. Now I find out they are licencing out a camera body? Various features from the D200? Sheeesh...

While this isn't enough of a reason for me to write off Nikon in my upcoming DSLR purchase it does make me think twice. At least Nikon is still manufacturing their pro lenses and their top two DSLR's (D2Xs and D2Hs) in Japan. And have yet to licence out the camera bodies from those cameras...or their features...or not that I'm aware...

Oh well, I'm still waiting for news on the upcoming Canon 40D. Will Canon debut the 40D at the CES? Will have to wait and see I guess. Or I may still look at the D200 or if I go budget mode then maybe the D80. Shrugs.

Take it easy Eric and thanks for the input...I'm outta here (umm this thread I mean)
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 10:15 AM   #4

Multiple posts - slow connection!!!
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 10:16 AM   #5

Multiple posts - slow connection!!!
Old Jan 10, 2007, 10:16 AM   #6

The Fuji S3 is based on the Nikon N80 body, as was the Fuji S2 (S1??) and the Kodak 14n and SLR/n cameras.

Only the new Fuji S5 is based on the Nikon D200 body.

But all this is nothing new for Nikon. Going way back to some of the original digital SLR's made by Kodak (late 1990's) you will find that all of those are also based on Nikon (F5 Film) bodies.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 10:25 AM   #7

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Like having cameras, lenses and other gear made outside of Japan. Now I find out they are licencing out a camera body? Various features from the D200? Sheeesh...
What difference does it make if Nikon (or Canon or whoever) manufactures their products outside Japan? It is still a Nikon and still carries the full Nikon warranty.

Actually the licensing of bodies to Fuji is not such a bad thing... for Nikon. All those Fuji (or Kodak) cameras have the the Nikon lens mount and all those Fuji (or Kodak) cameras will all need lenses to take photographs. So Nikon wins with body sales to Fuji/Kodak and lens sales to the Fuji/Kodak buyers. Hard to see where this is bad for Nikon.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 10:02 AM   #8

amazingthailand,
I'm with you on the licensing. It makes Nikon money (probably on each sale of any of those bodies along with an upfront payment) and I'm all for a strong Nikon (even if I own Canon gear, I want competition!) Nothing wrong with creating another revenue stream, assuming it doesn't undercut your own profits (which I doubt it will.)

I'm sorta in agreement with him on the question of where their gear is made. From what I've read, the quality control seems to be lower for the equipment made in China. They moved a few of their new lower end lenses there and I for one know someone who went through 4 of them before he was able to get a working one. That is not something that has historically happened to him with Nikon gear.

Now, maybe it's not where they are made but a fundamental change in Nikon over the years.... I don't know. But the general perception I saw when the manufacturing change was anounced was that this would lower the quality of Nikon gear. I haven't done a study to prove it, but there is evidence that its true.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote