Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 30, 2003, 10:01 AM   #1

Default Canon A60

Hi -I went through the "trying to pick a digital camera" and finally decided on going with the canon A60. I haven't received it yet, but was wondering if anyone has any info to give me on this camera. Any pros or cons....??? I couldn't decide between that and a fuji and finally just went w/the canon. I was told they are great cameras..so I am hoping this was a good choice being my first digital. I researched for a few weeks-and this site didn't have any info yet, because it's a newer model. Anyhow, if anyone has any info to give me I'd appreciate it ! Also -does anyone have any advice as to what type of charger to get ? Thanks!
Carrie Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2003, 12:32 PM   #2

Hi Carrie,

Welcome to the forum!

Steve usually does reviews of most every dig camera but the A60
does not appear to be reviewed (but its sis/bro the A70 is).

Go here to read about A70:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/a70.html

and here to read specs for your camera:

http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/a70-60/specs.html

and here for a quick start:

http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/...60A70_QSGe.pdf

Have fun with your digital camera
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2003, 1:37 PM   #3

Thanks for the info digcamfan-I appreciate it!
Carrie Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2003, 2:06 PM   #4

I love my A60, and don't think there would be another camera with its features I would buy.

if you want to see some of my sample images take a peek over at www.venrilsathir.com/photos/index.html

They've been resized but thats it.

It can either be a point-n-shoot camera, or can be all manual and do all the settings yourself. So as a beginner digicam I think its a great choice
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2003, 4:57 PM   #5

Hey Gimli

Do you find that pics taken in low light and/or very dull/overcast come out quite noisy ?

Also how about shots of dark subjects in overcast lighting.

I find all the above scenarios make for mnoisy pics with my A70

Stef
stefank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2003, 3:51 AM   #6

Only time I've gotten noise, was when I set the camera to ISO 400 and shot during dusk or low lit areas.

I'll look through my photos and see if any others have noise though.
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2003, 3:53 PM   #7

I am a bit worried about noise as well, on my new Casio QV-5700. It defaults to ISO50 film speed equivalent, but I'm setting it to at least 100 to avoid shake.

I can see the noise difference quite easily, but to see it I have to view the images at 1:1 on an 800x600 17-inch monitor, equivalent to a 40x30inch (1m x 0.75m) print. So when we worry or complain about noise, we need to specify how big an image we're aiming to look at, from what viewing distance, when we compare our results.

A postcard seen from normal viewing distance is less demanding than a 17" monitor, which is less demanding than a big print on a wall being inspected by a fussy photographer from very close.

I've posted some illustrative experiments here under "ISO setting vs noise", for comparison with your pictures
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2003, 10:31 PM   #8

Hi, I am thinking of buying this camera as well. Does it fit in a pocket? It looks quite big. Also, how about the batteries? I read that it requires 4 AA while most cameras only use 2. Does that mean it lasts longer?

I am between A60 and Olympus D-530...
Choco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2003, 11:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choco
I read that it requires 4 AA while most cameras only use 2. Does that mean it lasts longer?
Memory cards usually require 3.3volts...a pair of alkalines are 3volts at full charge, but it's not recommended to use alkalines due to their short life (compared to high capacity NiMhs). A pair of NiMHs are 2.4v when fully charged...there's a circuit inside the camera which increases the voltage to that required by the memory card. A camera that uses 4AAs starts out at 4.8v, so yes, it can operate longer.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 10:21 PM   #10

Hey all. I would suggest to you all who are buying the A60 to get the A70 instead.

Try this, resize any photo to 2048x1536. Then create a crop window of 1600x1200. This is easily done on PSP 8. You will see a huge diffence in size between the two. Also, when printing there is a 26% differnce in PPI. All the prices I have seen show that the A70 is only $50 more at a local store, yet I find it for only $250 online.

Just a suggestion,
Dan O.
Melboz99 is offline   Reply With Quote