Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 11, 2007, 4:06 PM   #1

I have a good flash and a 20D Canon camera. I shoot a lot of events in gyms and will be shooting indoor school events such as graduation etc... If I can shoot at 1600 or 3200 ISO without flash should I stay with that or lower the ISO and use the flash?

What is the better way? I noticed a professional photographer using flash there last year. But he may have been looking to do something different.

You help and advice is needed as I don't want to mess up the graduation pictures.

Help

RP33
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2007, 7:46 PM   #2

The answer depends on several factors:

1. What types of events? Sports, plays, graduations?

2. How close are you - are you within 30 feet or 60 feet?

3. Is flash allowed? For instance in Ohio, HS volleyball did not allow flash this past year, but basketball allowed it.

In general, flash is great if you can use it because you can use a shallower aperture and thus get better sharpness. Also you can shoot at lower ISO. But, you have to be careful. There are some drawbacks:

1. Recycle time. If you're going to be doing a lot of flash photography you want one that can use an external battery pack - this will extend battery life and speed up recycle time. If you can't afford such a flash, then buy NiMh rechargables - at least 2500 mah.

2. Shadows & stark flash - if you don't have enough power to bounce (and don't have the battery pack to support the power drain) you're going to be firing the flash dead on. You still want to use a fairly high ISO - maybe even 800 so you don't get a stark subject and dark background.

3. Redeye - even with an external flash you get it - especially the farther away the subject is. Buy a flash bracket - Really Right Stuff, Stroboframe and Custom Brackets are 3 good companies for brackets. I strongly recommend this option for any semi-professional work.

4. Flash and burst - if you're doing sports work, without that battery pack you might not get good bursts (even with it you may only get 3 shots) - so plan on that.

Also be sure to have plenty of backup batteries.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 8:12 PM   #3

JohnG covered a lot of ground. I'd add one more issue: what are you going to do with the photos? If they are going to be used on the web or in some other low resolution, high ISO-no flash might be the way to go since downsizing will reduce the noise.

If you want to produce crisp 16x20" prints you have your work cut out for you. Expect to pay a good chunk of money for good glass and a fair amount for a flash.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 10:27 PM   #4

I can get on the floor for basketball I just do not know if flash was better or not.

For the graduation I want to get the best shots I can. I will be printing them. I will be able to get about 20 to 30 feet away. I have a sunpak 383 flash and Canon 20D camera. I am not for sure what lens I will have by then but for now I will be using my 70-300 for the graduation. Any suggestions?
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 6:33 AM   #5

RP33 wrote:
Quote:
Any suggestions?
With 70-300 you have no choice but to use flash. My advice is buy a flash bracket. Use NiMh rechargable batteries. And, if you plan on doing semi-pro work you need to save up for a better, dedicated flash gun - at least the 430ex, if not the 580ex (sigma makes a decent flash gun - 500 dg super as well)
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote