Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 13, 2007, 12:35 PM   #1

I'm a bit confused...
What shutter speed should I be looking for?

And when it says that a shutter speed is 8-1/1400 sec.
What does that mean??? is that a good thing???

KathleenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2007, 1:09 PM   #2

KathleenRose asks: I'm a bit confused...
What shutter speed should I be looking for?

And when it says that a shutter speed is
8-1/1400 sec.
What does that mean??? is that a good thing???

Let's go with the second one first. The "8-1/1400 sec." is not a shutter speed per se, but a range of shutter speeds. In this case, the range being from 8 seconds to 1/1400th of a second.
This is usually one of the standard specs quoted for a camera meaning that the camera in question can use shutter speeds from x to y. The lower the bottom figure, the longer the shutter will stay open. This helps get a usable exposure in very low light situations.
The higher the top figure, the shorter the time the shutter can open and close. Higher speeds are good for stopping fast action without blur and handling high light situations without over exposure.

For the first question, since you seem to have confused shutter speed with a speed range, I'm figuring that you may have meant, "What shutter speed range should I be looking for?"
I would just have to say that the wider the range the better. The more speed options available to the camera, the wider the range of lighting conditions it will be able to handle properly.

If that wasn't the kind of answer you were looking for to the first question, feel free to ask again!

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2007, 2:53 PM   #3

The shutter speed range you've indicated is pretty typical for lower end to mid range digicams. That range is good enough to cover most types of shooting situations.

If you want to capture night shots or just get long exposures of something to say capture a lot of blurry motion, or just for interesting effects, and plan on using a tripod, you might want something that allows for longer than 8 seconds. If you're shooting mostly by hand, you'll never come close to using that slow speed.

For the faster speeds, there isn't much that moves so fast that 1/1400 won't capture it. The only reason you'd want to go faster than that is to be able to open up the aperture more in bright light and get a shallower depth of field. I'm guessing that this kind of thing probably isn't important to you, unless you're going for a camera with a lot of manual controls and are really interested in learning more intermediate to advanced photography techniques.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote