Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 14, 2007, 8:59 AM   #1

Hello! I am new to the forum and this is my first posting. I am interested in DVD slideshows. I have done a few using ProShow Producer and I have been getting very encouraged by family and friends that I should start charging for my services. The first one I did for my nephew and his bride-to-be involved scanning in 200 old photos. I just finished a wedding dvd with pictures that i shot and that went much faster. What is a fair rate/charge for producing slideshows? I would appreciate any info or advise. Also, what is the best way to resize photos before importing them into Producer. The software crashes when I try to import so many large files. I don't want to sacrifice quality! Thanks!
Photo Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2007, 9:41 AM   #2

Moved to General Q&A forum.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 10:09 AM   #3

it crashes because u need more ram (memory) or faster processor, or maybe both.

asking about a fair price is hard to say without seeing how professional the end result was. is disc printed and does it have a pro looking cover for the dvd

i have made a few with producer and looking back at early ones, they dont compare with what i can do with it now, id have been embarassed to have charged, whats allways good is to do early stuff for free and hope it leads to more jobs which will then result in pay

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 12:03 AM   #4

Thanks for your response! It sounds like I have been going about this the right way. I can see the difference as I have gotten more proficient with the program and as I come up with better and more creative ideas. I think that you are right about not having enough memory and/or fast enough processor. I guess, I'll have to invest in a higher end computer, if it comes to that. I have another question. Do you know whether you have to pay royalties for the music that you use for the slideshows? If so, who do you contact? What are the fees, if any? Thanks again!
Old Jan 17, 2007, 4:26 AM   #5

re pricing, sorry wouldnt have any idea, to be honest its something i personaly wouldnt be worried about as the ones i do and have done are not for mass distribution.

if u had to do one for a company that was going to do quite a few copies then id look into it

a real good way to show them is by having some online, i have got just one online to show people, i did intend to get more online as doing weddings and functions could be a great idea, quality is reduced lots to enable the small file size. my commitments to my panoramic photos are stronger at the moment as a huge gallery chain is intrested in them and i have secured my own gallery upstairs in a local pub (bar) where 20 will be on show

been thinking about pricing slideshows again and its so hard, on the one hand everyone wants to make money, on the other u dont want to put people of with silly prices, my suggestion would be to start on the low side and get work in, get yourself a reputation and then adjust the price. id suggest charging a fixed fee for the first dvd then so much for each extra as most of the effort goes into the making of the show not a duplication of it, againg if price is too high they could order less and duplicate them !!

it sounds like u nejoy making them as i do too so hope u can come up with something and make a profit, its another step in the creative/arty side of life

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 11:28 AM   #6

If you have any pros in your area providing this kind of DVD slideshow service, check into what they are charging. Price yours about the mid to low end of the scale. Pricing is a difficult item to deal with, and it varies quite a bit from region to region.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 6:46 PM   #7

I charge $35.00 for the first one and $25.00 for every copy thereafter. I try to keep the shows at 75 to 100 photographs. I find if the show is to long that people do not enjoy it as much. It seems that if a show runs over 1/2 hour I just don't get the re-copy orders for some reason.

I have done shows much longer but I really didn't have to.

Ronnie,
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 8:27 AM   #8

Thanks for the information. You and others have given me some realpractical advice. I have noticed that 30 minutes is all that anyone could bare in one sitting. If it does end up that I am going to get into this full-time, I would probably divide larger shows into chapters or mini-shows. Did you have any trouble wrting to your first DVD using ProShow Producer? I have tried to email them for help, but they have not responded yet. Thanks again!
Old Jan 23, 2007, 8:35 AM   #9

I don't have any problems at all with creating a DVD. I used to have Pro-show gold and had some problems. I called them on the telephone and got my answers. Their phone #'s are on their web site.

Ronnie,
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote