Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 14, 2007, 10:52 PM   #1

Hello,

I've been having a hard time getting some of my photos printed at the local 1 hour photo store (wal-mart, Sam's, Costco). Since I've been taking photos with a background the person working the counter thinks they are professional photos and now I need a release form. I was wondering:

1. What type of wording should I use?

2. Are there any sites out there with templates or examples?

Thanks in advance!

A
afayec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2007, 6:01 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Have a look at http://www.dpcorner.com/all_about/releases.shtmlfor ideas, however unless something is very different in the US to here in the UK then it is nothing to do with the printer if you haverelease or not. If you were selling them to a magazine then yes you would need a release but for them to be printed this is just crazy!!! I get all my work printed online as it is generally cheaper and results are great (not sure what site to suggest in the US), also I get the delivery next working day.

I could be wrong but I would say the printer has the wrong end of the stick or does not know what is going on!!
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 9:24 AM   #3

Thanks Mark1616. I'll check out that site. Here in the US it's clearly posted in the stores that you need a release to reprint professional photos. Sometimes I get them and other times they won't print them. It seems to be up to the person working that day to decide if it's a pro photo or not. Soo frustrating!

Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:26 AM   #4

afayec,

OK - this boggles my mind. Who exactly are they expecting you to get the 'release' signed by? From what you're saying, it sounds like the store wants a release signed by the photographer (different than a model release which is signed by the person in the photo). The reason I say this is: If I take a picture of you I own the copyright of the image. The fact that you sign any form doesn't give someone else the right to print the image - it's my copyright. Now, for certain uses (advertising etc.)I need YOU as the person in the photo to sign a release.

So, given the above - who is the store expecting to have sign off - the photographer? I guess it makes sense in that they can then keep that document as their due diligence in case of a lawsuit - "hey, afayec signed this document stating he/she was the photographer"

I get mine printed online or at home, so I don't deal with this but I am curious.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:10 AM   #5

Hi JohnG...yes the store is wanting a release signed by the photographer. Here's an example:

My husband and I took a vacation in Hawaii and a friend snapped a (posed) photo of us with a beautiful background of the ocean and palm trees. The photo turned out great.I inserted some text and the year (Kauai 2006) in the upper corner and took thedigital image to the local Wal-mart to have wallets printed.When I went to pick up the photos thephoto person said Ineeded a release formb/c the photo'LOOKED' like it was taken by a professional photographer. Iargued that it wasn't, butwas never able to get thewallets.I went down the street to CVS 1 hr and printed them with no problem from their photo person.

I'm going to be taking photos of some friends and family and giving them a CD to take so they can make their own prints. From the above experience I know they will run into the same problems. I wanted to make up a photographer release from to give them so they won't have this problem.

It looks like I may be better off using an online site to print my photos...What site do you use?

Thanks for your input.

A

Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:22 AM   #6

Well, I used to use winkflash - they're the cheapest and still decent quality. But they messed up too many of my orders - and I got frustrated. The last go around (the 4th screw up in 6 orders) they said I had to reload my image files - I asked if they could confirm the files were corrupt since I had no problem viewing them on line. They replied with: "that would take too much time for their tech guys to figure out, and they wouldn't verify it so just upload new files since that was the likely cause". Plus they wanted me to pay shipping on the order again (granted only 99 cents but it's the principle - they screwed up my order (I got blank photos on 1/2 th eprints and it made it through their QA process).

Bottom line - I now use EZPRINTS (19 cents for 4x6s but $3 for shipping).

But, in many on-line places you have to wait 1 week to get the photos. That kinda sucks. On the plus side, I can choose not to have any correction done so the photos turn out exactly as I processed them. Some local labs will let you choose this option and some wont.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 12:02 PM   #7
Administrator

Talk to a manager and explain that you took the photos (and put it in writing if necessary). They were asking if you had a release from the photographer to print them. Explain that you were the photographer.

This is an issue that pops up in photography forums often: " [insert store name here] refused to print my photos"

Stores are worried about liability if Aunt Sally decides to scan and print copyrighted images (and that's pretty much all images that you didn't take unless the copyright holder transfers rights to you). It's also not fair to the photographers, since it robs them of income from the print orders

So, the clerks are often trained to make sure that isn't happening. Consider it a compliment that they thought they were taken by a pro. ;-)

Some stores are a bit pickier than others. I sometimes use my local Walgreens for prints (since I can upload them to their web site and pick them up an hour later).

This one (on the corner of Abercorn and Largo in Savannah, GA) actually does a pretty decent job. I once asked them if they tweaked the images during the print process, and they said yes. But, I can't see that they modify anything (color, contrast, etc.) from the prints that I've had made there. It could be that someone has the machine setup wrong. lol Of course, each store is only going to be as good as the people working there. You see complaints about any of them from time to time.

They have never asked to see any kind of release. But, YMMV since I've seen people complain that their local walgreens refused to print images, too (and you see the same stories popup in forums about wal-mart and others).

The last time I had prints made at my local walgreens, I uploaded 3 images and wanted 8x10" prints. They were images of the bride and groom from 3 different weddings that my sister wanted for a unique display she was putting together for a party that they'd be attending.

The order was ready in an hour with no questions about where the photos came from or if I took them (which could be a bad thing if I would have been trying to scan and print images that I didn't take or have permission to use). Of course, maybe that's because my photos are so bad they didn't suspect that I had copied them. :-)

It's all a matter of perspective.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 1:33 PM   #8

I had the same problem with Wal*mart. I bought an inexpensive home portrait studio, took some pics, replaced the background with a digital background. They wouldn't let me have my pics until I created and signed a letter stating I had not violated any copyright laws when using digital backgrounds (My digital backgrounds are royalty free, so there's no problem there).

But, it gets "funnier", so to speak. If I use the 1 hour photo, where they print it on site, they always want proof that I have not violated copyright laws. I always direct them to the binder with my letter.

If I submit through the internet, and have the same photos delivered to the store (No shipping costs associated), there's NEVER been a problem.

One employee told me that they don't care what's printed off site, they're jsut worried about what THEY print. I asked who did the printing off site, and she said Fuji.

So.... If you want to be hassled, use the 1 hour photo option. If you don't, and you can wait 2 days for the processing, submit your photos online, and pick them up 2 days later.
HughesInNC is offline   Reply With Quote