Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 1, 2003, 3:45 PM   #1

Default ISO setting vs noise

After Klaus DK's topic "ISO fastinfo here" over the last few days, I have done some experiments with my Casio QV-5700 on a tripod pointing out of the bedroom window.

The two arrays of partial images posted here show the effect of different ISO ratings, at two different magnifications. If viewed with each array of all 4 images sized to 300x190mm, (1:1 on an 800x600 17" monitor) corresponding you will see the images as if you were looking at bits of..…

(a) a 10x7.5inch image (254x190mm) (1:5 on screen), and..

(b) a 40x30inch image (1000x750mm)(1:1 on screen)

The noise is little different between ISO50 and ISO100, but very different between ISO100 and ISO400. I shall therefore over-ride my camera's default and usual auto setting of ISO50, which I find too slow for general use, and set it to at least ISO100.

I'd love to know whether my camera is any worse for noise than anyone else's.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2003, 11:09 PM   #2

It isn't fair to compare your camera to mine, as mine is quite expensive. Also I don't have experience with your camera, so I can only comment on person opinion instead of any factual experience.

I agree with your conclusion that the diff between 50 and 100 doesn't seem like much. Using 100 seems worth it to me. 200 does have noticable noise and 400 is quite a lot.

You should look into using the software package neat image. The free version is just as good at removing noise as the pay version, it just the pay version supports more formats and 16-bit color. If that doesn't matter, use the free version. Its at www.neatimage.com. It works very well at removing noise.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2003, 12:21 AM   #3

I am not familiar with your particular camera but looking at your results I would say my Olympus C-0720 UZ produces significantly less noise at ISO 400.
Richard Howes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2003, 5:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Howes
I am not familiar with your particular camera but looking at your results I would say my Olympus C-0720 UZ produces significantly less noise at ISO 400.
TVM for the info
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote