Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 18, 2007, 9:51 PM   #1

I know this isn't about digital cameras but I figured you guys could maybe point me in the right direction. So I found this camera that my dad used to own. Its a Nikon FG 35mm camera and it looks to be pretty old. I researched it a bit and I think it was released in 82. I also have an Osawa Mark II zoom lens with it. I have always owned digital cameras and what not but I want to learn how to use this one. I heard that it will take better pics than a digital. Is this true?? Where do I even begin to learn how to use this machine?? I'm really not familiar with camera settings and ISO numberseither. Also, I'm not sure if its broke or not but I can look through the sight and its black, like I can't see anything out of it?? Does it just need a new battery to operate correctly? Any help and advice would be great. Thanks, Wes
wmflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2007, 10:15 PM   #2

Hi Wes,

I did a quick google search and found this link for the FG http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...0/fg/index.htm

I have an old Nikon FM from about the same time frame. Although it does not have any automatic features the rest of the build is similar. I'm assuming that you are used to using point and shoot digital cameras. With these types of camera when you look through the viewfinder, you are not looking through the lens.

This may be obvious but, did you remove the lens cap?With any SLR (single lens reflex) camera be it film or digital, when you look through the viewfinder the mirror in the camera brings in the image through the lens.

As for needing batteries to use it, you will need them for the built in light meter, but should not to look through it.

To learn to use it, check online for manual for the camera. You can also look online or check out a book or two at the local library on basic photography to tell you all about ISO (or ASA filmspeed) exposure settings, etc.

I hope this helps you and good luck, you will have fun learning it.

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 10:19 PM   #3

wmflyfisher wrote:
Quote:
I know this isn't about digital cameras but I figured you guys could maybe point me in the right direction. So I found this camera that my dad used to own. Its a Nikon FG 35mm camera and it looks to be pretty old. I researched it a bit and I think it was released in 82. I also have an Osawa Mark II zoom lens with it. I have always owned digital cameras and what not but I want to learn how to use this one. I heard that it will take better pics than a digital. Is this true?? Where do I even begin to learn how to use this machine?? I'm really not familiar with camera settings and ISO numberseither. Also, I'm not sure if its broke or not but I can look through the sight and its black, like I can't see anything out of it?? Does it just need a new battery to operate correctly? Any help and advice would be great. Thanks, Wes
The FG is a smaller version of the earlier FM/A's. Will it take better pics than digital? If you gave different pots to 2 different cooks, would one produce better dishes than the other (IOW, it's not the gear, it's the photographer). Can it do better than digital? Maybe, but you need it perfect working order & with a great lens on it, plus Pro-grade slide film before you'll know.

A new battery is probably the least it needs, the shutters may be frozen, but you'll never know unless you can clean the contacts & power it up correctly. I wouldn't waste too much time on it myself.....I've found Digital to be so much cheaper & better in the long run, that paying for film processing isn't worth it to me.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 10:26 PM   #4

Mugmar wrote:
Quote:
Hi Wes,

I did a quick google search and found this link for the FG http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...0/fg/index.htm

I have an old Nikon FM from about the same time frame. Although it does not have any automatic features the rest of the build is similar. I'm assuming that you are used to using point and shoot digital cameras. With these types of camera when you look through the viewfinder, you are not looking through the lens.

This may be obvious but, did you remove the lens cap?With any SLR (single lens reflex) camera be it film or digital, when you look through the viewfinder the mirror in the camera brings in the image through the lens.

As for needing batteries to use it, you will need them for the built in light meter, but should not to look through it.

To learn to use it, check online for manual for the camera. You can also look online or check out a book or two at the local library on basic photography to tell you all about ISO (or ASA filmspeed) exposure settings, etc.

I hope this helps you and good luck, you will have fun learning it.

Mugmar
Quote:
Wow, thanks for the useful info! Yes, I am used to using point and shoot digital cameras so this one is really new to me. I checked the lens cover and it is off. I'm aware of the mirrors inside as well that line up to project the pic through the viewfinder. I still can't get anything through the viewfinder, maybe its broken orsomething.I guess my main concern is will this camera take better quality pics than my Sony w70 digital? If so, I would like to learn how to use it but if not I'm not sure if its worth the time. I would like to know more about the settings in general though. I will have to read up! Thanks again, Wes
Old Jan 18, 2007, 10:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I think I just need to learn how to take pictures with my Sony digital first! I'm so used to using the Auto setting and thats probably why most of my pics are "ok". I don't know ifI want to take the time and money to just seeif this one will take good pictures. I'm a student so I def don't have the extra funds to spend! I'll probably end up selling it on Ebay or something.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 11:13 PM   #6

It sounds like something is really amiss with your FG, I agree with Kalypso, that it would not be worth putting any money into it since it is so old and obsolete (not because it is a film camera, but the technology in it is so old)

Here's a quick link for some tips on digital photography http://www.shortcourses.com/index.htm

Digital is the way to go now-a-days, I would not mess with film unless you just learn how to do it.

keep shooting and post some pictures soon.

Mugmar

Old Jan 19, 2007, 12:50 PM   #7

I wonder if the mirror is frozen up?
You might find a place you could take it that would, for free, give the camera a once over and get a quote for a repair... But I wouldn't do it.

I'm with everyone else, I don't think it's worth it. If you used the absolute best film (maybe Provia 100F), had really great lenses available (or at least, a lens which is better than what is on your Sony) and you learned enough to do the metering by hand using the built-in meter... then you might do better than what you can get with the sony.

But you'll learn much faster with the fast feedback loop that digital provides. You take the picture, look at the screen, fix the exposure, and take it again. You can't do that with film. With film you really pay for each and every mistake. Sure, you learn your lessons with more force ("DAMN! I didn't realize I had the exposure off by 1 stop for the entire roll! I'm definitely going to check that next time!") but you learn the lessons faster and a bit easier with digital.

I'd say keep it, put it on a bookshelf as a conversation piece (especially if you can talk about where your dad used it... or hey, maybe get a picture or two that he took with it to hang around the dorm room.) It isn't going anywhere, and you can always fix it later if you want. Just take the battery it has out, keep it dry and it will still be there when you're out of school.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 1:47 PM   #8

Thanks for the info and advice. Yeah, it sounds like I better stick to the digital. I really don't have the time or money to "test" the nikon out. Now I need to really learn how to use the sony digital. So should I always keep my digital at the maximum mega pixel setting for the best quality pic??
Old Jan 19, 2007, 2:27 PM   #9

wmflyfisher wrote:
Quote:
So should I always keep my digital at the maximum mega pixel setting for the best quality pic??
Three answers to this: yes, yes and YES!!!

you really don't want to go with a lower quality and take the chance of that perfect shot not being the best it could be! Memory is cheap!

Mugmar
Old Jan 19, 2007, 2:40 PM   #10

Ok cool, I have a 2gb card so space shoudn't be a problem. Thanks