Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 2, 2003, 11:44 PM   #1

Default Which Digi Camera should I get with these Requirments?help!

I live in The U.s Im thinking about gettin a digital camera Soon, Im really confused as of which one to get. First of all i'de prefer it to be below $300. 2mp+, optical zoom, regular double a batteries, Usb, Macro, and just overall a decent camera. Mostly I'll be using it for ebay purposes But also I'de like to occasionally take some nice shots of my car, and nature.

I was looking at a few on walmart.com and bestbuy. But usually the camera has some good features but lacks some stuff i want.

Such as these
Kodak cx4200 for $148. 2mp but no optical zoom.
Kodak cx4300 for $179. 3.3mp again no optical.
Canon a300 for $196. 3.2mp no optical but has alot of other features.
fujifilm finepix 2650 $197. 2mp,3x optical zoom, usb,battery.
Kodak cx4230. $197. 2mp, 3x optical, Usb.
Toshiba pdr 2300. $199. 2mp,3x optical,Usb,Battery.
Fujifilm finepix a303. $249, 3mp, 3.2optical,Usb,Battery.

Well as you can see im trying very hard to stay under $300. So if you anyone has any help its greatly appreciated. Thanks
MrSpiLLz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2003, 1:38 AM   #2

Mate you need more requirements .. those cover about 300 cameras ...... remmebr you need to add batteries, charger and memory to the cost of the thing.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2003, 1:09 PM   #3

Im not to familar with what to look for and what not to look for... I guess i would like some manual control to learn how to take some good pics on my own, A camera thats good for low light situations would help.. Yah I want the regular batteries so i can get one of those chargers for the batteries. I dont know what kind of memory either. :?
Old Jul 3, 2003, 6:13 PM   #4

Actually now my wife decided to give me a little more money to spend on the digital camera because i got her interested with the photo printing ability when she seen the kodak dx6340 and printing dock. Although I was not sure i wanted that camera because it was 329 and 199 for the dock. So i was thinking of getting a few different cameras then buy my wife a seperate photo printer.

So now i upgraded my choices... Which now are the
Canon s230
Nikon coolpix3100
sony cybershot dsc p52
sony cybershot dsc p72

Really i'de consider any camera under 350. So which one is the best... Please help, thanks
Old Jul 3, 2003, 7:01 PM   #5

Chief, chief .. write down in order EXACYTLY what you want to do with your new purchase. Then find out what you need to do it. Then scope this site, www.dpreview and one or two others (especially using the "buying guides" available on other sites) to narrow down your choices.

Frankly I think you're rushing an dneed to just step back for a few minutes. Work out a) your print size which will determine the number of megamapixels you need, then if the physical size of the camera is important, how much zoom you need, how much manual control you need and the price you can aford.

From there, you then have issues such as which battery they use and performanc eissus such as shutter lag and response time from power on.

Go to a store and play with the cameras.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2003, 12:01 PM   #6
lg

If you're looking for a quick recommendation that fits all the criteria you have specified, consider a refurbished Olympus C-2100. It comes with all the "extras" others leave out- batteries, charger, remote, etc. It's great in low light, easy enough for my 10 year old daughter to take great pics with, and has all of the manual and advanced features in a camera for you to grow with. 10x optical stabilized zoom with these features won't be found for under $360, which is what I paid for my last one.

THAT HAVING BEEN SAID... I agree with Alfisti--- SLOW DOWN! Take your time evaluating what is available and how closely each camera considered meets your family's needs. I'm probably the exception to the rule, but I spent almost 2 years researching digicams before purchasing my first one. Be sure to include picture quality in your consideration-- some cameras take better pictures than others-- look for a camera that properly exposes the pictures, is sharply focused, and produces true colors. As a starting point, pick out a few cameras you are considering, and then use the sample photos available here on Steve's Digicams to compare the quality of images taken by the cameras you selected.

There's a lot of us out here who field these kind of questions every day or every week, and what you should consider is that it is incumbent upon YOU to make that final decision. Take the time and effort to conduct your own investigation based on other's opinions along with your own findings to arrive at the camera choice that is best for you. Happy hunting, and let us know if you have any specific questions about your choices.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2003, 9:31 PM   #7

I go for the HP Cameras... the new ones
HP 735 and HP935
jmpub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2003, 2:33 AM   #8

What about the a70? It is a great all around camera that has all of your requirements and an af assist low light illuminator for low light focussing, plus it has automatic and manual controls for you to grow into. Just remember, however, it is never good to rush into a purchase of electronics equipment, especially one that concerns something as important as photographs.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2003, 2:33 AM   #9

What about the a70? It is a great all around camera that has all of your requirements and an af assist low light illuminator for low light focussing, plus it has automatic and manual controls for you to grow into. Just remember, however, it is never good to rush into a purchase of electronics equipment, especially one that concerns something as important as photographs.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote