Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 21, 2007, 4:39 PM   #1

Do you have to get a high dollar Hoya uv filter or are there others that have been preforming good?
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2007, 5:41 PM   #2

RP33 asks: Do you have to get a high dollar Hoya uv filter or are there others that have been preforming good?

As long as you get a filter that's made with optical-quality glass (not all of them are) and treated with a lens coating (multi-coating is better, but more expensive), you can get good performance. Of course, with "premium quality" filters, the performance will be better than good. So, it pretty much comes down to what you mean by "good" performance and how much you're willing to pay for it.

If your standards are very high and you have some high quality lenses, then it makes sense to get the highest-end filter that you feel you can afford. If your expectations are more modest, you probably won't be able to see the difference between a high-end filter and a merely good one.

Doesn't have to be Hoya, either. B+W, Nikon, Singh-Ray, Heliopan, and even Tiffen make some good quality stuff.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 6:29 PM   #3
rey

i'm one of those people who don't care much for UV filters. I think they're close to worthless.

In general, I don't use filters much. The only filters I own are Hoya circular polarizer (the basic single coated one that cost me $30 for 72mm), and a Tiffen 3-stop ND filter (~$35).

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 9:59 AM   #4
Super Moderator

rey wrote:
Quote:
i'm one of those people who don't care much for UV filters. I think they're close to worthless.
If you are able to protect a $900 lens for $30 I would not class that as worthless, as for noticing differences both with and without I can't say I have.

I have hoya, tamron and a UK Shop branded one and don't really notice much difference.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote