Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:42 AM   #11

Topics come and topics go, including this very one which has been covered several times in the past! If you searched for it :blah:

It is just the nature of worldwide open forums, and people trying to get a handle on the technowizardry that is being thrown at them.

The choice is always with the viewer to read and or respond to the current refried threads passing by.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 9:09 PM   #12

I have wondered for awhile if I was the only one who couldn't get the search to do anything worthwhile.

Of course there will be questions where the only reasonable answer is RTFM. Neither a good search function nor omnipotent moderators will stop those questions. Live with it. Snarl at them if you are in that mood, but only in the nicest way. Just chew off the ankle, not the whole leg.

All said and done - there really aren't vey many of those kinds of questions.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:28 PM   #13

Maybe we should be tighter in our Moderating? I've only seen one instance that required us to clamp down on things.........personally, I wouldn't want to see another.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:15 PM   #14

No, I think the moderation here is just fine. It is not the wild west (like dpreview) and rarely descends to those depths.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:40 AM   #15

I would love to see a better search engine. Its really tough to search key words. When u give a composite key word, the search engine kinda works really strange.

I dont say its bad, and neither i am expecting a search engine like google. But would love to see more relevant results than pages of matches where u will ahve to spend few hours digging the right thread,.

Vj
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 2:53 PM   #16

Or better still why don't the "Moderators" Put a simple section on settings and Basic Q&A's (I started a Post when i first joined "Steves Digicams" Called "ISO" and the Moderators Locked it so it would'nt move down the Forum out of sight..Why can't this happen with DOF,Apature,Shutter and anyother frequently asked questions then all one has to do is read that particular posting...Surely theres someone out there who will write a post and then Steve, JimC or Kalypso can make it green (Lock it in Place) so it can't b moved...Hope this will help in cutting down the amount of repeat posts

Andrew
wrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 4:05 PM   #17

:-) This type of question is the reason the "what camera should I buy " forum exists.
It was created after people started complaning about too many of those type of questions in the general forum.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 4:13 PM   #18

one more idea is to give like restricted moderator previlages to old, frequent visiting reliable members. where by they can do the daily moderation of threads and stuffs.

i have seen in forums where this restrictred moderation works really well.

But main thing i would love to see the steves IT team to work on is the Search engine. That will solve most of the issues when people want an answer.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 5:05 PM   #19

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
one more idea is to give like restricted moderator previlages to old, frequent visiting reliable members. where by they can do the daily moderation of threads and stuffs.

i have seen in forums where this restrictred moderation works really well.

But main thing i would love to see the steves IT team to work on is the Search engine. That will solve most of the issues when people want an answer.
The search engine problem has been passed on to the Forums Admin (& he is passing it on to the software owner). Unfortunatly, our WOWBB1.7 Forum code is purchased and implementing features has to be done by the software owner.

I will work up something to lock onto the tops of each Forum for the people wanting to learn (but don't expect the stupid questions to suddenly stop)... :P