Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 24, 2007, 9:56 AM   #1

I have decided after several posts on here and all the fine tech advice I have been giving that best idea for my storage on the road would be to get one of those mini hard drive devices that allows you insert the memory card and upload its contents to it.

I know I need a minimum of `0GB but more is always better. The devices needs to also except 1GB xD cards. I actually have a wolverine one model 6020 but it will not take my 1GB xD cards even with a CF adaptor. The company informed me that the device was only set up to except 256MB xD cards (however it took my 512MB card) which was the leargest size at the time I bought it (bought to upload 64MB smart media cards). But since then the 512MB card went bad. So all I have now is 1x 256MB and 3x 1GB cards ()which I know will not be enough for the week trip I am taking in March).

Has anyone used any of these devices, especially with 1GB xD cards. Which one is the best bang for my buck? What do you recommend. I have about $150 set aside...

Thanks

Dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:47 AM   #2

This isn't going to directly help you, but I'll say what I can.

I have the Epson P-2000. It is very nice, and I'm quite happy with it. It doesn't take xD directly (only SD and CF) and its way out of your price range.

The price point you're looking at might be hard to make. Portable devices like that have laptop hard disks in them... and those are expensive. Quite expensive. More than $100 for just the drive... that doesn't leave you with much left over.

You'll have to find one that doesn't have a screen - maybe just a small LCD for status. Make sure that it has the option to verify the copied card (since you won't be able to display the images to verify them.)

One really nice thing the Epson has, which many others don't, is a great battery life. The Epson can copy over 10G of data before the battery dies... most can't do more than 1/2 that. So whatever you get, I would search for a review that tests battery life and make sure it fits your needs.

I don't know how popular xD is (none of my DSLRs take it) so you might be stuck using a xD->CF converter... which should be just fine if it works. So I would also suggest you check that out ahead of time. Of course, by the sounds of it I think you will do that any ways.

Sorry I can't recommend an explicit product - 'cause the one I would recommend (from personal experience) is out of your price range by a lot.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:48 AM   #3

double post.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:17 AM   #4

Thanks for the informatuion you provided for me. Every little bt helps out. I do ave a laptop with 100GBhard drive (40GB free) and I am thinking more and more I mioght be better off taking it with me even though it would in the turnk of the car then entire week except when I am using it in the hotel room.

Anyway if anyone else has ideas let me know.

dave
Old Jan 27, 2007, 11:47 PM   #5

Well I finally have good news to report. The wolverine 6020 is not soupposed to take xD cards over 256MB. Turns out the company told me to buy a CF to xD card adaptor and use it in the CF slot of the device to read my xD cards. Well to make a long story short I found out through another user group that the Smart Media to xD card adpator works better for transferring xD cards in older card readers than CF to xD adaptors. So tried that and it read my 1GB xD cards without any problems.

Thanksto everyone for their help and ideas.

dave