Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 24, 2007, 1:32 PM   #1

Can anyone recommend Photo DVD's or CD's which have a good life span..???

Something i can store all my Shots on which won't deteriorate after a couple of years..!!!

Cheers Guys and Gal's

I have recently seen advertised 100 Year discs for Picture storage!!! Has anyone else and if so do you use them..???
wrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2007, 2:00 PM   #2

FYI:

wrams wrote:
Quote:
I have recently seen advertised 100 Year discs for Picture storage!!!
The problem is to find a disk reader in 100 years from now :blah:

I have a 8 inch floppy on the wall in my office
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 5:33 PM   #3

Some of the early stuff became obsolete almost as soon as it was released. But the standard 3.5 inch floppy has only recently started to become physically obsolete close to ten years after it was technically obsolete. You will have plenty of time to transfer the data to something else when it comes along.

The very best are Mitsui Gold with long lasting Phthalocyanine dye and a well made backing with a real gold surface.

Probably the best you can find in your local store are Verbatim Data Life. They use Azo dye, which is almost as long lasting as Phthalocyanine. They are all manufactured by their parent company Mitsubishi Chemicals to high standards.

Taiyo Yuden are also very high quality. They all use the basic cyanine dye, which isn't as long lasting. But disc quality and error rate are probably more important than the dye.

I think all "Made in Japan" Sony and Fuji discs are made by Taiyo Yuden and also high quality.

Most other brands are a crap shoot. Many are made by Ritek or CMC and not regarded as highly as Mitsui, TY and Verbatim. Some are made by TY if they are made in Japan.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 5:58 PM   #4

The jury is still out on how long any cd or dvd lasts. Some say 1yr some say 10. The way technoligy advances these days, you may still be using dvd's 5 years from now, only they will be faster and hold more data and probably will require a new burner to write to them, or another media type all together. My cycle is to re-copy all my discs every 5 years. This doesn't mean I spend all day doing this task, it is just a once a month deal and maybe only 2 or 3 disc are at the 5 year life span each month. The life span of the media doesn't concern me too much. Plus I have them all on two external hard drives and a website that stores them on three different servers. Wow just because your paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you. :-)
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 5:26 AM   #5

I have just found this on the Mitsui Gold on the Net...Don't know if anyone is interested..!!!

Mitsui Gold CD-Rs

You can finally feel safe about archiving your images on to CD's and not have them fade into oblivion, The MAM-A is the only CD-R with a real Gold reflective layer, plus MAM-A's patented organic Phthalocyanine dye. Accelerated aging tests, accepted by the US government, allows MAM-A to guarantee information storage for more than 200 years!

The Longest Lived Recordable Media Available

The MAM Archive CD-R is a high performance recordable disc, providing longevity and durability far in excess of conventional CD-R media. Every MAM Archive disc uses robust Gold-on-Gold® construction to provide the maximum resistance to environmental degradation. Long-term applications such as backfile conversion, e-mail archiving, and storage of classified correspondence can benefit from the Archive CD-R's strict quality control and patented Phthalocyanine dye (tha-lo-cy-a-neen) formula, which offers storage life in excess of 100 years. There is not a more stable, more reliable media for long term storage available today. Only paper lasts longer.

The reference CD-R, for all professional applications
Thanks to MAM's patented organic Phthalocyanine dye, the most technically advanced dye in the world and to the Gold reflective layer, MAM Gold CD-R gives an optimum recording quality and an unequaled precision. These characteristics make MAM Gold the ideal professional CD-R for mastering and professional archiving. Available in 74 or 80 min.

Storage for the ages
Unlike CD-Rs containing Cyanine, which lose their characteristics more quickly from exposure to light and heat, MAM Gold CD-Rs ensure stability, exceptional longevity and durability as well as added protection from the reinforced Diamond Coat protection layer. Accelerated aging tests show that MAM Gold can be used as a reliable storage media for more than 300 years. All of the main components in the MAM Gold CD-R are very stable in the environment; plastic (polycarbonate), Phthalocyanine dye and gold (it NEVER oxidizes).

Increased Recording Speed
MAM Gold CD-Rs guarantee a perfect recording compatibility up to 52X, allowing an additional time saving for all users, while preserving an absolute reliability in storage and retrieval of data. MAM CD-Rs media are compatible with all recorders and readers.

MAM Gold: 100%MAM
As one of the original manufacturers of CD-Rs, MAM has a long history of innovation and excellence in CD-R production. MAM is a global leader in CD-R production – with manufacturing facilities in the USA and Japan. Because MAM CD-Rs are made from the company's own raw materials, disc quality benefits from a consistency and process control which no other manufacturer can equal.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 6:35 AM   #6

Caboose wrote:
Quote:
. Plus I have them all on two external hard drives . :-)
I adopt this way now, in5,6 years, I will transfert all my datas on another hardrives (or whatever technology ...)

FYI, another discussion:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=9

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 6:40 AM   #7

i just bought 200 dvd-r taiyo yudens - there is a website that sells them online direct to US customers; i think it was www.supermediastore.com - i got 200 discs with 200 paper sleeves for $58 on special last week (200 is alot! i split it with a friend at work). If you search taiyo yuden on google, you'll find several discussions about their product, all very favorable.
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 7:14 AM   #8

I have just bought 100Mitsui Gold Discs for £45.00 or $85.00 USD from ebay with nextday delivery......