Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 26, 2007, 10:41 AM   #1

Hey guys, was recently in a bar and left my camera on the table when a glass of vodka redbull was spilled all over it, i quickly rubbed the access of but noticed the next day that most of the buttons are kinda jamming (you know how sticky that redbull can get) you guys any ideas a=on how to solve this problem, maybe any cleaning materials recommended? any help would be great!
irish_dec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:21 AM   #2

When I worked in computer hardware service we used to get calls where sweet beverages had been spilled on a keyboard. We were never very successful getting it all out and usually ended up replacing the keyboard and billing the customer.

Your problem is sticky residue around and behind the buttons which would require taking the camera apart to clean. Any cleaning fluid you use could seep into the camera and cause more damage without necessarily cleaning the residue out.

Of course this won't apply to a submersible camera which could just be soaked clean. A weatherproof model could be carefully rinsed as well but some residue may always remain. Distilled water would be least likely to damage anything or leave anything behind for these two cases only.

Inquire how much a camera repair shop would charge to clean the camera professionally, it may be cheaper to buy a new one!

Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:28 AM   #3

thanx for the speedy reply, much appreciated, i guess the smartest thing to do, is get advice from a pro, the camera is still working, its brand new and i just dont like the idea of having sticky jammed buttons, im sure yas can understand :|..thanx again

Old Jan 27, 2007, 10:27 AM   #4

I had a similar incident involving coffee a few years ago (with lots of sugar in it, I used to have about 10!), and in that case the buttons did eventually stop sticking with use. It's probably worth seeing how much cleaning will cost, but if it's prohibitively expensive then remember that the more you use them the better it will get.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 1:42 PM   #5

If you are going to attempt to clean it with any kind of liquid, remove the battery first.

The reason water will damage these cameras is that the water will cause electical conduction between places it's not supposed to go, basically frying the electonics.

But I think, in theory at least, it would be possible to remove the battery, clean the thing off, and then let it dry out thouroughly--which I would assume could take weeks--before trying to put a powercell back in. Maybe use rubbing alchohol because it would dry faster.

But don't take my word for it because I'm not really sure.

And that may not be something you would want to try on a new camera that's functioning. But if it were down to the point that it's too expensive to have it done professionally, and it's that or buy a new camera, that would be something to try.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 1:43 PM   #6

I had similar problem about two years ago. I had beer spilled on to my Panasonic FZ20. I quickly wiped it off an luckily none of the beer found it`s way into the lense. However, when it completely dried, the only thing on the camera that would work, was the view finder. I thought the camera was ruined. I remembered a quick drying electrical contact cleaner spray that was available in at a nearby Advance Auto Parts store. I went and got a can ($5) and tryed it. I carefully, using the supplied spray tube, sprayed small amounts around the the controls. I did this several times and after the spray fully evaporated all the functions returned! It`s worked just fine ever since. The spray comes in a red aerosol can and I believe it`s made by QVC. There were two types of cleaners but I know the quick drying type worked and it didn`t harm the finish on the camera, nor leave a residue. I was very careful not to get any spraynear the lense, only on the switches. I have also seen the product at Pep Boys Auto Parts stores. I won`t promise you that it will work in your case but it sure worked great for me.
PTB Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 1:45 PM   #7

Oh yeah, I too did remove the battery before using the cleaner.
PTB Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 12:08 AM   #8

thanx all for the replies, the spray sounds pretty good for a go considering my situation, ill get back to yous on progress thanx again