Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 9, 2003, 11:27 PM   #11

sjms, I actually have a Memory Stick -> PC Card adapter.

But please shoot me if I ever buy a digicam that requires a PC Card.
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 2:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjms
my biggest issue with sony is the propriatary memory format- the memory stick

have you noticed no other manufacturer has licenced the technology for use in their cameras.
I once said the same thing but Steve corrected me, so now I'll correct you. Konica does use the memory stick in their cameras (as well as SD and MMC).

Fuji also uses SM and xD, not just Olympus.

I've owned cameras that used CF, MMC, SM, even 2" floppy...when shopping for a camera the type of memory it uses is very low on my list of things to look for (actually I give it no consideration). To me things like optics, features, batteries are much more important.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 9:17 AM   #13

well, due to the fact that Fuji and Oly codeveloped both SM and xD together i would expect them to use it too. but again when it came to their higher end cameras again CF was there to save the day. the S2 and S602 speak both SM and CF. obviously they saw the develovement limitations early on of SM early on so they were in process of changing the format to xD and hedged their bets by using the defacto Pro Standard CF to insure the extended usability.

Oly has done exactly the same manouver too. the high end cameras are multi slotted. E10 E20 C5050z and the new 4/3 E1

both, like sony, want to sell their standard but do not want to loose sales at the high end due to incompatability. sony currently doesn't have a product in that catagory. they are a stubborn institution. they do not like open standards. they make money on licencing and keeping their products tied together by a common technology they developed. you can by a computer from them an it will have a mem stick port in it. then a TV too. their clio line of PDAs also. outside of sony no one else uses them.

its more of a marketing stratagy then a tech development.

as to konica you will note the SD slot. that is another open standard (developed by panasonic) that has come on quite strong in the PDA world. i will venture a guess that the mem stick slot will probably remain vacant on all but to those who own the clio PDAs or other sony products. at least you have a choice. oh there are other devices too:

http://www.memorystick.com/en/clink/index.html

hey, if it says sony on it. it will have a MS slot

as far as the correction i'll accept that on the point of 1, count it, 1 company has finally put it in. you will also note that entire line is also SD. also now that Konica and Minolta are hand in hand my 7Hi supports SD with an adapter and with another adapter it supports xD still can't fit a mem stick though. on the horizon sony is developing a considerably smaller MS that will probably adapt again to CF via an adapter thus becoming a contender to both xD and SM.

in a timeline of developement CF currently has surpassed every form of portable memory device in capacity and speed. now i do say currently. and of course things do change. CF is currently at 2GB and will be at 4GB by the fall if not sooner. the promise of SM died on the vine. SD is at 512MB xD is new and seems to be coming on strong in capacity. MS comes out with a 1 GB model that IS NOT backward compatable. if you want more you buy more. some CF cameras have limits too. but generally a firmware UG can remedy that. but with sony the pinouts are different. it looks like the bootstrapped 2 512s together an instead of putting the little switch on it to swap the access. you just have to get a new camera. thats cool.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 10:26 AM   #14

also in reference to the konica memorystick addition. note they added memorystick not memorystick pro support. this puts you at a considerable disadvantage in the use of memorysticks since they are capacity limited. this info is per konica tech support.

a rather pointless exercise towards the future.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote