Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 5, 2003, 1:40 PM   #1

Default V1??? G3??? G5???

Heya! my questions are!

Im really gettin nuts... cant choose the right camera for me!!! Ill mostly shoot pictures from family, landscapes, macro of some equipments/engines, travels (so it should be not too bulky). Seldon Ill have to print 8X10...
Im going for a Canon G5, G3, Sony V1...

The G3/V1 has the same price... and G5 is like 200 dollar higher price... I would like you to compare G3/V1 and G5/V1 ... you guys really think it worth the money???
THANKS A LOT!!!

Ill give my opinion about those cameras and then ya could coment and say whatever ya fell about them!

G5/G3:
-good size
-battery life
-CF
-swivel LCD
-someone say that it has red eye and chromatic aberration (blue)

V1:
-really like the sony´s hologram/night shot
-dont know if its too small (especially when flash pop up)....
-like the metal body and lens protection
-really like the VGA option for movies!
-poor battery life

Thanks for your help

I really need someother opinions to feel better!!

Thanks Again!!!
victorgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2003, 8:56 PM   #2

IMHO, all the Sony needs is a 6X zoom and it is the ultimate camera .... so much more compact than the canon ... and i am NOT a fan of sony at all.

A very stellar piece of work IMHO.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2003, 10:09 PM   #3

Thanks for your opinion Alfisti... I think Ill go for the V1... just need to grab it to see how I feell about its size.

Ya ever saw/grab one?? Was it too small to handle or it was okay?? Thanks!
victorgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2003, 6:00 AM   #4

Look, this site can be a bit odd ... a lot of regulars are real camera buffs and believe a good camera must be abig one. I own a FUJI 3800 which is MEGA to hold .... i am talking perfect feel in the hand ... problem is carting the thing around ... just too bulky and it WONT fit in the girlfriends handbag so no night shots!!!!!!!!

The Sony (again, i am not a fan of sony cameras at all) is the perfect size, not too small but small enough to take out at night with no problem at all ..... all it needs is another 70mm of zoom and I'd buy it for ANY price ... i think itis perfectly specked and seems to take great day and night shots.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 12:07 PM   #5

ok, sony has a perfect size, and many of canon g3's functions. That's all, I personaly prefer a bulky style but all the funcions I need. Even with 5 MP the V1 from sony cannot reach the g3 excelent image. where sony wins is in the purple fringing.

Take a look at my site:

http://www.pedro.dk3.com
Sabbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 12:10 PM   #6

oh, i forgot a very important detail, G3's batery is fantastic. I think it lasts at least twice as V1 does. When i bought the G3 i thought about the Canon S50, but a powerful batery is essential for me, and i have 2 extra bateries. I hate to go out of batery.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 5:51 PM   #7

Picture quality ois very, very close to the canon ....... very close.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 7:38 PM   #8

my biggest issue with sony is the propriatary memory format- the memory stick

have you noticed no other manufacturer has licenced the technology for use in their cameras.

olympus at least on the upper line cameras like the c5050z have multiple format insertion capability. that is CF (the most widely accepted format in the world) SM and xD.

as your need for larger sized cards grows as mine has you will find a "slight" price difference in the different types of media. my current cameras use primarily CF cards. with an adapter all 3 can use a xD or SD card. i have done so just for giggles. there is no adapter currently that allows a mem stick to adapt to other formats due to the current form factor.

a 1gig CF card will range from about $175-$265 depending on speed.
a 1gig mem stick is currently at approx $475
a 2gig CF card is about $575
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 7:55 PM   #9

that's an excelent question!
CF are much cheaper than sony memory sticks
Old Jul 9, 2003, 9:19 PM   #10

One of the reasons i am not a fan of sony .... but the camera isvery hard to ignore froma spec point of view and size point of view. if it had a 6X zoom it would be unbelievable. I imaginbe a camera like this should be a one off buy ... it should last 10 years ..... hence a few more dollars for so many more pics (because oyu will take it out more) is worth it.