Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 5, 2003, 9:04 PM   #1

Default Do I really need more than 2.0 megapixels?

I have finally learned from you guys that "digital zoom" means nothing and it is now something I can take off of my list as far as what to look for in a digital camera. I am still confused as to how many megapixels I actually need. I will be using my camera for regular indoor/outdoor shots for the web and printing. It doesn't have to be top of the line...I dont really want to spend more than $400 including the extras.
Also--per the guys at Best Buy.......if I got a digicam with only the memory it came with, I could only take 8 pictures. Is this true?

soooomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2003, 9:52 PM   #2
lg

Default Some 2MP digicams are fine for your usage, others aren't...

You haven't provided enough information for us to provide a good answer. How large are the prints you want to make? What kind of camera only takes 8 pics with the memory card provided? I can answer as to the camera I have, but without more information I can't say if that will meet your current needs.

My camera is 2MP, and it's fine for any web posting, 4x6 and 5x7 prints. Others debate if a 2MP camera is enough for 8x10 prints, and IMHO it is fine if you do no cropping. The quality of images varies greatly from camera to camera, and this observation is for the Olympus C-2100 camera. I shoot everything in HQ mode (next to the highest .jpg resolution), and on the 8MB card provided, I can take 16 images at this default resolution.

Let us know more specifics, and we'll do our best to help.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2003, 4:57 AM   #3

No matter what camera you buy, they pretty much always include a low capacity starter card that can only store a very few shots at top quality. Also, chances are the 8 pics the best buy employee was referring to are if you use top quality at the highest resolution, the number will vary largely depending on the resolution and amount of compression you use. You should therefore budget some money for an extra memory card right away.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2003, 1:51 PM   #4

I feel the same as you when it comes to the pixel size...I was wanting the panasonic dmc-fz1 but like you...is the 2 pix enough...or do I need to look for more...most anything I print is 8 x 10 or smaller..but you still wonder when buying a new cam
draxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2003, 2:32 PM   #5
SSD

Hi
This is just a thought. You could get a 3MP camera and have more room to crop if needed. For your price range, you can get the Canon A70 which is 3 MP, plus have enough left over to get a couple of sets of rechargeable AA Nimhs, and another CF card. The last time I checked, www.bhphotovideo.com
had the A70 listed at $279.
I hope this helps!
SSD
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2003, 2:36 PM   #6

You have to remember that megapixels is only one aspect of digital photography. You have to think of the controls you want, features, the optics, etc.

For instance, the Canon A70 mentioned above can not be compared with the Olympus C-2100 or the Panasonic DMC-FZ1 as the A70 is a lower range camera without image stabilization. If it was a Canon Pro90IS, that's a different story.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2003, 3:17 PM   #7

OK...so here is the stupid newbee question...for the ADVERAGE day in and day out photograph...will you get as good as image with the pansaonic fz1 at 2 pixel as you will out of a 3 pix cam such as mentioned above...and never printing above 8 x 10
Old Jul 6, 2003, 3:52 PM   #8

There's more to digicams than Megapixels. If you took two identical cameras and fitted one with a 2Mpix chip, and the other with a 3Mpix chip and shot some pics with identical settings, and without cropping got them photo processed at 300dpi 6X41/2, then you probably won't see much difference.

But there are too many reasons why differences between camera makes (and within the ranges themselves) would give different results and discussing them would just make you unhappy. Here's some to be going on with:

Camera's with newer sensors may be more sensitive.

Some cameras may compress their pictures better, more noticeable on detailed scene content.

Some cameras may have better AF so sharper focussed pics more often.

Some cameras will have better white balance, so pics at 2Mpix may look the right colour, compared to a 3Mpix camera.

Some cameras will produce more noise so a 2Mpix cam might look cleaner than a 3, on the other hand another 3Mpix cam may have excellent noise processing and give better pics.

Some cameras may be faster at what they do than others.

Some cameras may have a fast f1.8 lens, but if the sensor is less sensitive, a newer
design 3Mpix cam with a f2.8 lens may be better. The list goes on.......and ......on.

Have a nice day! VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2003, 5:37 PM   #9

Thanks Vox.....now I have left Missouri and totally entered the state of confusion
Old Jul 6, 2003, 5:56 PM   #10

Draxo....you've just qualified to join the club and be confused like the rest of us! Personal preferences play an important part - there is no perfect cam, if there was and it was affordable, we'd all have bought it.

Digicams are just technology driven transition toys - there's always a better one just round the corner coming out! Just enjoy photography! Regards VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote