Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 6, 2003, 12:56 AM   #1

Default All in one Scanners

Any body know of a printer scanner combo that has a built in slide scanner as well?
SteveGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2003, 3:08 AM   #2

I doubt you'll find one as these devices are for offices, and most don't do slide scanning.

If you want a small device for slides, take a look at the Primefilm 1800 series...this device is not much bigger than an outstretched hand, and it can be found at Costco for $139US.

http://www.scanace.com/en/product/1800u.php

Personally, I'm leary about All-in-One devices...usually one device wears out first and you got this huge kludge which can only do one thing.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2003, 6:09 AM   #3

I have an Epson 'Perfection' series which came with a slide scanner attachment. That's not going to offer any more res. than the basic scanner since it's no more than a mask and colour balanced light to illuminate a neg or slide from the top side. Whereas, there are scanners made by people like Nikon that can offer more dpi over the scanned slide area.

I've just done some 'rithmetic. If you want to get parity with say a top end 12Mpix DSLR full frame - not an unreasonable objective, I calculate you will need a scanner doing 2700dpi optical resolution.

It just happens that Nikon do one:

http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/news/1998/ls30_98.htm

Or, if you want 4000dpi they do this one:

http://www.nikon-image.com/eng/news_...4000_main.html

Price? well deepish pocket but around $1224 for the 4000 dpi and $600 for the 2700dpi, but compare with full frame dslr and all the extra kit.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2003, 9:26 AM   #4

But the Perfection Series isn't an All-In-One device (printer AND scanner). The Epson All-In-One's are under the Stylus (CX3200 & CX5200 are current models) and Stylus Scan names.

Just an FYI.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2003, 9:36 AM   #5

Default Advice

I purchased a PrimeFilm 1800 and sent it back....the quality was terrible. I then purchased a refurbished Epson 2450 Scanner at a very nice price directly from Epson. It is reviewed on this site and I think there is now an updated model. It does and excellent job and has a copy of SliverFast software as well.

If you are just getting into film scanning you should give some consideration to the rest of your computer system and if you have the processing capacity to handle a large volume of high res graphics? Things can get out of hand really fast.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2003, 9:37 AM   #6

Default Advice

I purchased a PrimeFilm 1800 and sent it back....the quality was terrible. I then purchased a refurbished Epson 2450 Scanner at a very nice price directly from Epson. It is reviewed on this site and I think there is now an updated model. It does and excellent job and has a copy of SliverFast software as well.

If you are just getting into film scanning you should give some consideration to the rest of your computer system and if you have the processing capacity to handle a large volume of high res graphics? Things can get out of hand really fast.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote