Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 2, 2007, 1:00 AM   #1

What is the best settings for portraits or pictures of a standing still subgect?

Is it better to slow the shutter speed down as slow as possible? What about Apeture settings? If I shoot a 70mm lens should I still be shooting 400ss or should I slow it down and bring the ISO back down a little too?

What is best?
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2007, 7:14 AM   #2

RP....
There are a ton of "IF's" in that question....If your outside, If your using studio lighting, If your using "what ISO" setting...and the IF's go on and on...I tend to use program mode and set my ISO for where ever I may be and let the camera more or less choose the shutter and apature...Out side I use reflectors, inside I bounce flash....If you have the time, I would suggest playing with settings as you go and when you hit the right combo, stick with that...Thank god we dont have to buy film anymore....
:?
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 1:05 PM   #3

RP33 wrote:
Quote:
Is it better to slow the shutter speed down as slow as possible?
Generally speaking, your subject wouldn't be moving much during a portrait (unless it would be a covert portrait), so any shutter speed from 1/30 up would work well.

RP33 wrote:
Quote:
What about Apeture settings?
That depends on what you want to do with the depth of field. You might want the foreground and background elements in focus, so you would use a smaller aperature. If you want them out of focus, use a larger aperature. Just accomodate the aperature with an appropriate shutter speed (as long as you keep it faster than 1/30.)

RP33 wrote:
Quote:
If I shoot a 70mm lens should I still be shooting 400ss or should I slow it down and bring the ISO back down a little too?
In general, for portraits you should keep the ISO low (800 or less). Higher ISO values introduce noise into the image, and you wouldn't want that noise showing up on your subject's nose.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote