Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 2, 2007, 1:47 PM   #1

i just got my canon 400d and i really love it. its main purose is to replace my dslr-like p&s, olympus c740uz. i most used this camera for motorsport events i watch and enter. i really like the panning effect. i am just wondering if IS really helps in panning? there are many tele lens out there but none of my reach if it has IS (canon L). heres is a panning pic i took with my c740uz:

olympus c740uz: A(f/6.3), F(1/160), ISO(100), (63mm)

balmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2007, 3:01 PM   #2

Here's one of my shots while panning.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/a...t.php?id=87244

I took it with a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D with Anti-Shake (the equivalent of IS). It helps when you're trying to stay still, but in the case of panning, it's benefits are desireable but not as useful.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 3:13 PM   #3

I think there are certain types of IS that can help in panning shots when set to a certain mode, but in general IS can screw up your shot because it will move the lens or sensor in the opposite direction you're moving your camera. This can cause a stutter in your pan which may appear as a double image or some similar effect.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 4:35 PM   #4

IS or AS or SSS or whatever else it is being called now, is intended to compensate for inadvertent camera movement when hand-holding the camera. When panning, you are deliberately moving the camera to keep up with the subject. IS isn't going to do anything for you. Recommendations I have seen from manufacturers have been to turn it off for this use.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 9:46 AM   #5

balmo wrote:
Quote:
i just got my canon 400d and i really love it. its main purose is to replace my dslr-like p&s, olympus c740uz. i most used this camera for motorsport events i watch and enter. i really like the panning effect. i am just wondering if IS really helps in panning? there are many tele lens out there but none of my reach if it has IS (canon L). heres is a panning pic i took with my c740uz:

olympus c740uz: A(f/6.3), F(1/160), ISO(100), (63mm)

Panning is very similar to "follow through" when hunting.

1. Yourbody should be balanced,lead foot pointed at you subject. As it passes, compose, focus and shoot, never stopping your swing.

For we shotgunners, follow through insures a smooth release: the same for "shooting" a camera.

Some IS/VR-whatever lenses, Caon EOS among them, have a panning setting.

Most do not. I disagree with those who suggest turning off you IS/VR. I spent most of my career without IS and treasure it now as I advance in age.

Still, proper panning technique IS or not, will more often than not deliver very sharp images: "Follow through".

Want to practice your panning skills? Find a moderately busy corner in your neighborhood, position yourself near anintersection and fire away.

Be sure, as in hunting, you acquire your target early, meter, focus and shoot, continiung your follow through all in one movement**.
**If you stop your pan immediately after or duringshutter release, VR/IS or not, the image may be less sharp than otherwise.

Ihad to shoot quickly as he passed by. This shot wasnearly an over theshoulder hit, thus off-balance (and shaky)(I cannotstress balance while shooting too much).
Very dark, rainy day with low ceilings which contributed to his suprise apperance.

Attached Images

AlAsaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 5:37 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Don't worry about IS (or what ever else the lens manufacturers want to call it) for panning shots. I have Sigma glass so don't have any IS (OK so there are a couple now that have this but not at the higher quality end) and with a good technique you remove the need for IS. I also have access to the Canon 100-400 L IS lens and unless shooting something stationary with it just leave the IS switched off (this has the option for both mode 1 and mode 2 IS so you can turn off the horizontal but don't even worry about this).

Here is a shot taken at about 1/100th (if memory serves) and about 140mm, as you can see there are no worries.

And this one was at 1/60th at 400mm (if you look at the exif and think I have gone crazy it is because my 3rd party 2x telecon does not report it is in place so this is f8 at 400mm).

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 6:43 AM   #7

IS is a tool. And just like any tool, there are situations where it is appropriate and there are situations where it is not. Whether or notyou will ever find yourself in sitiations where it is appropriate, is academic.

I have a battery powered electric drill, and I have used it unnumerable times. I have a circular saw that I have used 3 times in ten years. On those three ocassions, I was pleased that I had it, but the rest of the time it's just taking up valuable storage space in my garage.

Clearly, you felt you needed a better set of tools that you had with your Olympus C740 Ultra Zoom. IS is just another tool that is now available to you. As a result of having selected a Canon dSLR, you have the luxury of being able to RENT accessories for it from any of the better camera retailers.

Try it for youself.

And please be sure to let us know how it went.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 8:56 AM   #8
Super Moderator

TCav makes a very good point, I miss my KM5D on occasions as it was great to have the IS/AS ability but for 99+% of my shooting I don't. If I was shooting low light portraits or similar when needing to keep then lens still to get the shot it is a feature you will be pleased you had.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 7:24 PM   #9

Mark, those shots are stunning. For that shutter speed you have got to be amazing at panning. That is way beyond the results of the average person.

AlAsaad is exactly right about panning and follow through. You really must keep going if you want to get anything good. I've heard it from too many sources to discount it (and what little panning I do I always follow that advice and it seems to help.)

I know some people who feel that the "panning" mode of Canon's IS is helpful. I usually forget to switch it to that mode. My results have been good, as seen here:

and here:

But I wonder if it would have been better if I'd switched the IS mode.

balmo, shooting moving subject is a skill and can be learned. Practice it a lot and you should see your keeper rate go up. If shooting cars gets you into trouble, get a box of crackers and go somewhere you can find gulls. Feed and shoot them for an hour or two and your panning skills should improve.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 11:02 PM   #10

mark1616, that tvr is hot! and on the 2nd pic, 1/60th at 400mm(!), thats a lot of skill. i want to think i have passable panning skills, especially what i has was only a p&s c740uz. im sure one i get my first tele, i would get better results, i hope. here are some more pics

balmo is offline   Reply With Quote