Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 10, 2003, 4:39 PM   #11
NHL

I don't know... There are plus and minus on both side:

Now that I have both. I think EVFs do have some benefit... The EVF based camera can be made smaller and lighter without the optic and has the benefit of What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get or in the instant replay through its EVF. With a dSLR one regularly needs to carry two lenses to get the same range as most EVF based cameras (which also add to the weight and inconvenience). The pictures do show up after they are taken with a dSLR, but one needs to step back from the eyepiece to look at the LCD, whereas with an EVF everything is right there in the viewfinder. Let's not forget the real-time histogram and the grid and scale on some EVF's as well...

There's of course the true to life bright prism viewfinder and the faster AF speed of the dSLR, but then it should be at 3 times the cost! It just happened that we have all owned a film SLR at one time or another to appreciate the difference but the Video camera folks have not complained about their EVF even when it was in black & white! :lol:

I actually welcome an EVF based interchangeable lens camera that can be made with all the above features! 8)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 5:49 PM   #12
djb

not all film slr's had moving mirrors. the old Canon Pelix (sp?) had a
plastic mirror which allowed most of the lightt o pass through the mirror to the film and had some reflected light to the pentaprism.
no mirror slap or shake. oh how i wanted one!!!

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2003, 6:18 AM   #13
NHL

With an EVF you don't even need any mirror! The CCD is your viewfinder.

In fact there's no need for shutter either since it's built-in to the sensor as well. The shutter is there only to shut-off the light to reduce smear and used exclusively for low-light long exposure dark frame substraction... 8)

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ght=mechanical
Old Jul 11, 2003, 3:33 PM   #14

It seems to me that one of the main purposes in having the mirror is the ability to look at the image through the prism. Without this feature, you are looking at a processed image that has a delay as well as whatever "effects" the software produces to get the image displayed on a CCD. Many photagrahphers prefer this RAW image. Also, To have the sensor and CCD continually on, reduces the lifespan of the sensor and CCD as well as reducing battery life.
twesterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2003, 4:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Olympus used to make a few fixed-lens SLR digicams, the D-500, D-600, D-620 and C-2500 to be exact, that used mirrors but they used real image TTL viewfinders, not electronic viewfinders.
And both before (Sony DSC-D700, DSC-D770, DKC-FP3) some of these and after (Olympus E10/E20) there were true TTL fixed lens cameras which used both the optical viewfinder and EVF by means of a beam splitter which was licensed to Olympus by Sony.

Unfortunately, splitting the light diminishes the amount available to the eye compared to a conventional mirror, but did have some excellent benefits especially for macro work where standing on one's head to get some types of ground level shots was made much easier by this feature.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2003, 6:11 AM   #16
NHL

Quote:
It seems to me that one of the main purposes in having the mirror is the ability to look at the image through the prism. Without this feature, you are looking at a processed image that has a delay as well as whatever "effects" the software produces to get the image displayed on a CCD. Many photagrahphers prefer this RAW image.
No argument here, but having a view of the post processed image with EVF has its benefit too... you see in real time what's going to be stored to flash memory, ie WYSIWYG especially when the cameras are on manual mode or during night scenes! As an example on my 10D, I have set some exposure compensation for beach shoots and forgot about it when moving to different locations -> Oops, that's nice and bright optical viewfinder is not telling what the camera is really processing! Reviewing the rear LCD is not as natural since this involves a separate step and back your eye away from the viewfinder...

BTW is this just me, but what I have observed is everyone who owned a dSLR also have a smaller convenient 2nd digital camera? Another friend got a 10D first as is now looking for a P/S! :lol: May be the manufacturers have known this all along and the two markets co-exist...