Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 8, 2003, 8:52 AM   #11

Alan T

Good point about switching to manual after auto-focusing. I do that as well on my big lens when I'm using it through trees. The Canon 10D has a habit of sensing all the branches inbetween me and the bird and it unfocuses and refocuses all over again to make sure its right... 1 to 1 1/2 seconds later and I've missed the shot. Birds just don't sit still!

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2003, 10:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
how long will it take you to set the focus, the shutter speed, white balance, etc. yourself?
Well, I was talking about the situation where you have to shoot instantaneously, but know in advance that you're going to have to.

After a fine collection of attempts at football shots, where my son did magnificent saves, and I got him lying on the ground afterwards with the ball nowhere to be seen, I did the manual focusing experiments, and then succeeded much better at his school sports day. The combination of manual focus and quasi-motor-drive worked brilliantly.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2003, 9:08 PM   #13

Quote:
How fast are we talking?
"Almost instantaneous"

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/rr30.html
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 11:27 AM   #14

Default Hm that does not help

1) I have also a big problem with shutter lag...
Why do digital camera's need so much extra autofocus time compared to even the cheapest analogue camera's ?

2) Are there any good quality 'pocket' camera's that allow to set the aperture and focus manually and leave it like that for the shooting session (without shutter pressed)?

I have tried in the past the focus lock with shutter half way pressed, it only works if one can pertain / pre calculate the distance with the object. It does not work if one tries to report a street riot / paint fight or whatever (similar to capturing a meteorite, the moment can happen anywere, when you turn your camera to the object you also have to shoot).

The Ricoh will in my case not do because the 0.22 shutter lag only goes for bright daylight. That light condition is rare were I and millions of others live.

3) So actually I need a very light sensitive aswell as minimal shutter lag; Are there any other options except digital SLR?
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 12:35 PM   #15

Default Re: Hm that does not help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathilde uP
1) Why do digital camera's need so much extra autofocus time compared to even the cheapest analogue camera's ?

2) Are there any good quality 'pocket' camera's that allow to set the aperture and focus manually and leave it like that for the shooting session (without shutter pressed)?
1) Most of the cheapest film cameras are fixed aperture, fixed shutter speed, and fixed focus...so there is no time in doing those operations because they don't do them. Many film cameras might have multi-position switch for landscape, portrait, etc. and you move the lens by moving the switch. I remember the Polaroid Sonar cameras, and they did take LONGER to focus than my current digital!

2) Most pocket digitals are very basic, just point and shoot, because the people who buy them don't want any more features (according to manufacturers). There should be some out there with "Aperture Mode", "Exposure Lock", and manual focus if you look for them.

One of the things that wasn't mentioned here is using the drive function...when you think something is going to happen (say your kid hitting a ball), use this feature, the camera focuses and sets exposure on the first picture and uses the same settings for multiple pictures.

BTW, here's how many autofocus cameras works:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/autofocus3.htm
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 6:43 PM   #16

Mike_Peat
Quote:
One of the things that wasn't mentioned here is using the drive function...when you think something is going to happen (say your kid hitting a ball), use this feature, the camera focuses and sets exposure on the first picture and uses the same settings for multiple pictures.
Hmm, I have heard of IBM microdrive...floppy drives, and a whole selection of other drives. What kind of drive do you mean? It seems like the something I really need.

Or is idrive another name for 'burst mode'?
Old Jul 10, 2003, 2:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathilde uP
Hmm, I have heard of IBM microdrive...floppy drives, and a whole selection of other drives. What kind of drive do you mean? It seems like the something I really need.

Or is idrive another name for 'burst mode'?
Now I know what you meant in your PM and where the confusion was (that's why it's best to reply in the thread).

The drive mode is a feature which allows you to take multiple shots by just continuing to hold the shutter button down...the term "drive" comes from using a drive motor on film cameras to advance the film. I'm not sure of the term "burst" but it could be the same thing.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 6:21 AM   #18

Default drive mode repeated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
The drive mode is a feature which allows you to take multiple shots by just continuing to hold the shutter button down...the term "drive" comes from using a drive motor on film cameras to advance the film. I'm not sure of the term "burst" but it could be the same thing.
Hmm, I believe that it is also called burst mode. Only works for such and so amount of snaps and indeed keeping the shutter pressed.

If any camera designer is reading this; Hello please an extra knob to lock the camera in drive mode/burst mode/ continious mode without taking pictures.