Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 7, 2003, 5:34 PM   #1

Default shutter lag

Is there any digital camera that doesn't have a long shutter lag time?
shenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2003, 5:40 PM   #2

There are ways to reduce shutter lag in most cameras. Do you have a camera in mind?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2003, 9:05 PM   #3

Default YES

Olympus E-100RS but they are no longer available except used and sometimes on e-bay. I think you can find a review on this site?
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2003, 9:32 PM   #4

The new Ricohs boast the fastest shutter response time.
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2003, 11:03 PM   #5

There are a number, but they are pricey. All the dSLR's have very low shutter lag as does the Olympus E20 and E20.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2003, 11:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
There are ways to reduce shutter lag in most cameras. Do you have a camera in mind?

Eric
What are these mysterious ways? I have no specific camera in mind--just wanted to get one with with the shortest lag time. It's frustrating to press the shutter release button and then miss the moment while a delay ensues before the camera takes a picture!
Old Jul 7, 2003, 11:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren
The new Ricohs boast the fastest shutter response time.
How fast are we talking?
Old Jul 7, 2003, 11:39 PM   #8

The less the camera does, the faster it will do it.

All digital cameras that I know have two stages to the shutter button. Press the button 1/2 way down, and the camera will focus the picture and will meter the scene for the available light. Then it will use that light info in conjunction with what setting you've made on the camera to pick the shutter speed and/or aperture.

Then when you push the shutter button down the rest of the way, it will take the picture using the settings which were set when the shutter was pressed 1/2 way down. If you keep holding down the shutter 1/2 way, then it will keep holding those settings. So if your kid is in a high chair, then you can setup the camera and get ready while the kid eats the chocolate cake.... And when they stick it into their ear, you press the shutter down the rest of the way and get the picture.

I'm sure you see the trouble with this system. The point of focus can't change much. If the kids are in montion, then you need to guess where they are going to be and focus there. You get good at this over time. It also helps to set the camera for a large depth of field to increase the chance they will be in focus.

Usually the largest part of shutter lag is the auto focus. If you can set the camera to manual focus... then you can set the focus ahead of time yourself and then you don't have to hold the shutter down 1/2 way, because the metering and setting shutter/aperture will probably be quick enough. Of course, it's hard to focus with many/most digital cameras because the LCD screen isn't sharp enough (if that is all you have to go by.)

Lin is right, if you want a digital camera which has a really low shutter lag, and you still want to use AF and everything else... then you probably need to spend the big bucks (like I did on the Canon 10D) and buy a digital SLR and put fast focusing lenses on it (like I did.)

I know nothing about the new Ricohs, so I can't comment on them. Nor the Olympus E20 which Lin mentions.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2003, 3:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
Of course, it's hard to focus with many/most digital cameras because the LCD screen isn't sharp enough (if that is all you have to go by.)
I *think* I have been succeeding in test shots in half-pressing the button to auto-focus at the distance I want, and then, without touching anything else, switching to manual focus, but not actually focusing. The idea is to leave the focus whereh it was.

Unfortunately, my Casio QV-5700 ubsists on having its monitor switched on when set to manual focus, whther you like it or not.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2003, 3:07 AM   #10

Focusing *is* the longest part of it...I just tried on my Oly C-700 to turn off and on various features. With the auto focusing on I can say, "one thousand" in the time it takes, but with it off I can't finish saying, "one".

But think about this, how long will it take you to set the focus, the shutter speed, white balance, etc. yourself? My last camera was a fully manual SLR, and it took me about three seconds to set all the settings including focus for a picture (those with less experience would take longer). For me, the second (roughly) that it takes for the camera to focus, etc. is worth it. If I go to an event where I'm taking lots of pictures and I'm not moving from the distance, I'll use manual settings for everything so I can snap off quicker.

You have to think about the tradeoff of a little shutter lag (which can be compensated for by pressing down the shutter button halfway to prefocus for the picture) vs. spending a lot more money (my camera was already over $650).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote