Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 7, 2007, 4:00 PM   #1

I did a forum search on this subject and not a whole lot came up. My question is, can you recommend a good photo contest in which to enter?

A good photo contest would be defined as:

1) a contest that is respected by the photo community

2) a contest that is conducted by people who are genuine in their appreciation for the craft of photography

3) a contest that isn't a scam contest that's rigged up to get you to buy something

Even it it's well known, please post the name of the contest to this thread as there are people out there (people like me :sad who don't know anything at all about photo contests. Though I will state that in doing my forum search I just came across Steve's daily contest, whichappears to bea two thumbs up winner. :-)

http://www.steves-digicams.com/daily_dpotd.html
RanchDressing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2007, 5:42 PM   #2

You don't say what subject matter the contest should be oriented towards.

Nature's Best Photography Contest
is very well respected, but also very difficult to win.
http://www.naturesbestmagazine.com/i...p?nav=contests

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 12:20 PM   #3

make sure u do read the fine print as i have seen competitions where u surrender the copyright to your images, they pay out little and get a huge amount of pictures to use as the please, oh and beware of ones wanting u to pay to submit......!!!!

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 12:34 PM   #4

I completely agree with reanimator. I also find that when some businesses contact me about using an image.

I really should draw up a series of standard questions for them. Something like:
1) In what media will you use the image? Digital? Print?
2) In what size? (Posters? Postcards? Web site ad? Web site background?...)
2) For how long will you retain the rights to use the image? (Based on time or the specific project.)
3) Are you asking for exclusive rights or not?

Too many contests area really just companies fishing to get good pictures for very little and then they get the rights to use them however they want.

Eric
Old Feb 8, 2007, 8:55 PM   #5

http://www.fujimugs.com/challenge/

There are no "prizes" other than other people looking at your picture and voting for it. But you will get feedback on your picture, which is invaluable.

Leah
mugsisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 2:49 AM   #6

RanchDressing wrote:
Quote:
I did a forum search on this subject and not a whole lot came up. My question is, can you recommend a good photo contest in which to enter?

A good photo contest would be defined as:

1) a contest that is respected by the photo community

2) a contest that is conducted by people who are genuine in their appreciation for the craft of photography

3) a contest that isn't a scam contest that's rigged up to get you to buy something

Even it it's well known, please post the name of the contest to this thread as there are people out there (people like me :sad who don't know anything at all about photo contests. Though I will state that in doing my forum search I just came across Steve's daily contest, whichappears to bea two thumbs up winner. :-)

http://www.steves-digicams.com/daily_dpotd.html
You left out a BIG #4 condition.... one where they don't end up owning your image... which MANY DO.... not just a one time promotional use.... you basically end up giving it to them even if you don't win.

Read the fine print carefully.!!!!
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 8:47 PM   #7

Hayward,
I agree - but I was thinking of when a business approaches me. When its a contest, that was exactly my point from before. They are really just fishing for good photos. They give you a simple award of some kind and then use the image how ever they want (maybe even selling it for use in ads!) and then save/make way more than if they had purchased the image for an actual commercial use.

Some are really just scams.

Eric