Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 9, 2003, 1:36 PM   #11

never thought of that mike.

602 also has the dual memory slots so you can keep a microdrive and a smartmedia in the camera at all times.

some low light shots from my live music collection
davebaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 3:43 PM   #12

Mike, what you say make a lot of sense to me, but if you read the equipment review - and I don't know if maybe I'm just misunderstanding it - the 6mp are actually recorded, and not interpolated, it's got something to do with the shape of the sensors in the Super ccd III, does any of this make sense to anybody?

Louis
luigiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 3:56 PM   #13

I just read that review again, I think I bought into some tech/marketing mumbo jumbo, offcourse they have to interpolate it to get to 6mp.
luigiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2003, 3:58 AM   #14

I am afraid that presuming the 6mp of the s602 has not benefit over the 3mp image mode is an error.

The s602 uses a diagnol array, unlike other cameras. The captured data is at a 45 degree differential to the standard formats of files/monitors,e tc. that are in v/h 0 degree orientation. In order to presever the added v/h resoluton benefit of a diagnol array without data loss, the 3+mp of data is tranposed to a 6mp file with interpolated pixels inserted into the grid making the differenc to create a v/h file.

Here is a simplistic interpretatino:

X=data, 0=interpolated data,

SuperCCD data, as collected raw:

X X X X
_X X X
X X X X

Interpolated file, converted to standard HV format:

X0X0X0X
0X0X0X0
X0X0X0X

It is not a simple matter of shifting pixels every other grouping as one migy immediately presume. This would result in modulated distorions of the image. The 3mp mode of the s602 is actually a downsampled version of the 6mp file. As a result, the 3mp file has less measured data then the 6mp file. The 6mp file has a measured extinciton resolutoin of 14-15% higher in the singe planes(v/h) or total resoltion of 28-30% higher summed, then the 3mp downsample file. This is confirmed, such as by the very well controlled resolution tests available at imaging resource, under careful inspection. Here are crops of resolution tests:

http://www.linaeum.com/productinfo/d...6mp/index.html

You can not replicate the 6mp interpolation that the 602 implements in software externally, as the 602 does not have a raw mode. However, the fuji s2 pro has raw mode and you can peform the interpolation method externally using it's specified software. You can not add data from interpolation, and the 602 does not add data either. It is more of a resulf of PRESERVING the data from the odd sensor topology that a 6mp file is needed.

-Chris
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote