Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 8, 2003, 1:19 PM   #1

Default Finepix 602 vs Olympus e10 vs Sony f717

I don't have the finances to replace my analogue system with a digital system overnight, but I want to start, even if it's only to get afeel for everything. As I checked it out, I basically narrowed my options down to 3 cameras thats not similar, BUT, they have some important similarities , that makes them comparable for me, like image size, price etc.

a) Finepix s602
b)Olympus e10
c)Sonyf717

Right now I think I'm keenest on the Finepix s602, but I can do with some help.
Thanx
Louis
luigiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2003, 5:10 PM   #2
Boo

I can't comment on the other two, but I am a daily S602 user and very happy indeed with it. Cameras are very personal and it rather depends on what you want from your camera, the features that are important to you. For me, things like the ability to use AA batteries (NiMhs perferably, alkalines don't last as long) were important and already having a 2800, I fancied another Fuji, for ease of swapping media, using the same cable etc.

It's great at video as well, 5 shot bursts, full manual control and the ability to add further lenses, for teleconversion, wide angle etc. were deciding factors for me. I like the feel of it and positioning of the buttons and bought it because on balance it felt the right camera for me.

Have a look at my personal and live music portfolios in my sig. (I htink they are anyway) to see the type of work you can achieve with the 602.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2003, 5:42 PM   #3

The E10 is kinda out of the league of the other two being a dSLR...the other two cameras are more similar to Olympus' C-series cameras like the C-7x0 series (not that there's anything wrong with the E-10...it's just in a higher class).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 3:29 AM   #4

I think I'm sold on the 602 Boo, I went to your site and I'm very impressed. I'm shooting a live recording of a Jazz Band over the next two weeks, and I found some handy information on your site, thanks.
One thing that does bother me a bit is the f2.8 lens on the 602, both the Sony and the E-10 sport f2 lenses, I do a lot of low light photography, film stills, night life, documentary etc., and with my current system, Contax G series, I have two f2 lenses. I guess it's time for new challenges!
Do you have any equivalent to pushing film with digital?
Thanks for the help
Regards
Louis
Old Jul 9, 2003, 4:57 AM   #5

The problem with shooting in low light with autofocus (AF) cameras is they don't focus very well in low light. The Sony although having an F2.8 lens does have a focus assist for low-light situations...from Steve's review of it, "Hologram AF assist up to 4.5m.

The E-10 will have it IF you add the expensive Olympus FL-40 flash (if you're shooting low light situations, you may want that much flash power anyway).

I don't know what the Fuji has...according to Steve's Review it's the standard "Passive auto-focus sensor and TTL Contrast detection AF type" which means it needs a certain amount of light and contrast to operate. I don't know the Fuji, so I don't know if it's possible to add that feature through one of their proprietary flashes.

Here's how passive auto-focus works:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/autofocus3.htm

Just because something looks impressive, doesn't mean it will perform that well in all situations. Suggest you reconsider your options (or rent each of the cameras to try them out to see if they work in the situation you want to shoot).

As for shooting a live band in two weeks, don't expect good results your first time out. You should never buy a new camera just before a big event...most of the time it's people who are buying a new camera for their vacation coming up in two weeks; you'll be spending all your time reading manuals and trying to figure out how the camera works.

I know in those low light situations you will be tempted to bump up your ISO, but like film you will get more noise in the pictures.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 5:28 AM   #6

i've had my s602 for 7 or 8 months now, and it was my first fully manual camera.

i think its a fantastic cam, i also considered the e-10. but the lack of EVF and I just didnt like the lens. BUt thats me.

check out my site for some 602 pics

www.pointandpress.co.uk

auto focus is a bit annoying in low light but normally you can get away with it by using the one touch auto focus button and the manual focus ring.
davebaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 6:56 AM   #7

Don't worry, I won't tackle any commercial stuff with equipment myself or an assistant is not familiar with. But now I'm definitly sold on that 602 after I saw Dave's handywork, well done!Two questions:

1)I assume that you bought an extra storage device, because the 16mb smartcard(?) that you get with the product won't suffice, what did you get?

2)Lens issues aside(I don't think it's fair to compare a Zeiss lens with a Fuji lens). Will the interpolated 6mp image of the 602 make a theoretically better quality print than the 5mp image of the f717 and others?

regards
Louis
Old Jul 9, 2003, 9:33 AM   #8

i had a 128mb smartmedia from a previous camera, and also a couple 64mb cards which came bundled with various packages from a shop

i recently invested in a 1gb microdrive, because when i take photos at concerts etc its a bit of a hassle changing smartmedia cards every 1hr

compact flash may work but if you read around the forum, you'll see why

(if anyone tried to access my site and it doesnt work, its cause i'm redesigning it )
davebaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 10:50 AM   #9
Boo

Quote:
I assume that you bought an extra storage device, because the 16mb smartcard(?) that you get with the product won't suffice, what did you get?
I personally use both larger smart media and microdrives - I have both 1GBs and a 340MB - they all work perfectly well. I've never used CF myself.

Quote:
The problem with shooting in low light with autofocus (AF) cameras is they don't focus very well in low light.
But they still are able to - you just need to master technique - some people use manual, my personal preference is to find a point of contrast at the right depth from your position, hold focus lock and re-frame.

I get asked about live music stuff so often with the 602 that I've written a tutorial of how I work, at http://www.boo-photos.co.uk/lowlight.html Almost all of my live music photos are done at 400ISO and without flash. Odd daytime festivals allow me to use 160ISO and faster exposures, but most often gigs are indoors at night.

Quote:
I know in those low light situations you will be tempted to bump up your ISO, but like film you will get more noise in the pictures.
If you want to work only with available light as I choose to, you won't have any option, but on the 602 there is the option to turn off camera sharpening, by setting the sharpness to soft and I have found this significantly reduces noise in high ISO photos, although I personally never go above 400, as you're limited to 1 MP resolution and if you want to crop from a frame, you're severely limited on output quality. If you shoot in soft, photos will then need the sharpness restoring by post-processing, so if this is acceptable to you, it's a worthwhile option to try.

This was shot at ISO 400, I don't think the noise is unacceptable (1/50 @ f2.8, 400 ISO, soft sharpening, taken at 6MPF):

Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 11:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiv
Will the interpolated 6mp image of the 602 make a theoretically better quality print than the 5mp image of the f717 and others?
No! You are just adding extra information by having the computer "guess" what information would have been there in the first place. I'd NEVER use an interpolated mode on a camera because it may ruin the picture in-camera. Instead I'd stick with the 3mp modes, and if I wanted to interpolate on the computer later. Also you have to remember that you are doubling the space the pictures take up on your card for no reason!

Another consideration why you don't want to use the 6mp mode is you never had the original picture from the CCD...you've altered it forever...there's no way to get back to the original. At least if you do it on the computer you still have the original.