Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 8, 2003, 1:33 PM   #1

Default smallest picture transfer software

hello i have a small digital camera (kodak dx3600) that i take everywhere and while i can usually find a computer to download and view/edit with
i am wondering is there a picture transfer software that will fit on a 1.44 floppy disk
i know that card readers are small and fit into the USB but its still not picture transfer sovtware

thank you
thegreatfixer
thegreatfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2003, 9:47 PM   #2

As long as the card reader works and appears as a removable drive in the computer you are using, you don't need any transfer software at all. Just create a new folder in the hard disk and copy or move the files from the memory card to the new folder just like you would any other files.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 7:29 AM   #3

I'm sure that's just a slip of the keyboard, but best to be clear...

When using a card reader, always COPY files to the PC, never MOVE. Moving files causes the PC to write to the card, which can make it unusable in the camera. COPY the files, then use the camera to delete the files on the card (or reformat it).

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 9:12 AM   #4

I normally copy, verify and the delete the pictures in the card reader. This is effectively the same as "moving". I have never had any problem with the memory card by doing this. Maybe it's the camera-card combination I have (Kodak with SD card) but no problems ever by deleting the files on the PC vs. the camera.

Just curious. What can cause this kind of problem?
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 9:33 AM   #5

Back to the original post! I think I know what you want, I needed something to load on to Internet Cafe pc's (with their permision) which was lightweight and could do re-sizing.

All the versions of ACDSee and trials before V4 were light. But stripped Exif (no big deal sometimes). After version 4 they included an editor with whistles and bells. Do some Googling, this is the lightest prog I know that still has good on the road functionality and works quick in slow machines.

PS the problem with 'moving' is if the USB interface hickups whilst doing it, you're files on the card get deleted 'cos it's a move not a copy, and your stuffed without file recovery software, because your target drive now has corrupted jpegs on it! VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 1:09 PM   #6

[quote="voxmagna"]Back to the original post! I think I know what you want, I needed something to load on to Internet Cafe pc's (with their permision) which was lightweight and could do re-sizing.

thank you i could not have said it better my self

THIS is what i am looking for

thank you
thegreatfixer
thegreatfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 1:23 PM   #7

What I forgot to mention is the single .exe file on the earlier versions went up to about 1.8Mb. That's more than 1 floppy, but you can do a self extracting Winzip across 2 discs. My other tip is to put it on a media card - but not in the camera file directory. If you carry usb flash sticks that's another option. Oh, and the downsize option is under the 'format convert' tab. Have fun VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote