Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 10, 2007, 4:59 PM   #1

Hello,

I need all the help I can get…

I have filmed several short videos (5 to 30 minutes) of my newborn son with my digital camera Canon 610A.

I burned these films onto a disk to be played on a DVD player but the DVD could not play them.

I know these movies are in AVI format. Can anyone explain what should I do?

Thank you.
reelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2007, 5:06 PM   #2

Did you use a DVD burner to create the disk?

Is the DVD player that can't play the videos the same as the one you used to burn the disk?

Did you upload and save the videos on your computer?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 5:18 PM   #3

hi thanks for replying

i used my pc dvd burner to burn the movies that i downloaded from my camera

and than tried to play them on my DVD player (not the same one and is a part of a home theater system)
Old Feb 10, 2007, 5:26 PM   #4

hi thanks for replying

i used my pc dvd burner to burn the movies that i downloaded from my camera

and than tried to play them on my DVD player (not the same one and is a part of a home theater system)
Old Feb 10, 2007, 5:56 PM   #5

Few standalone DVD players can playback AVI file format. You need DVD authoring software to turn the AVIs into DVD format. Nero, Roxio, and Ulead all have what you need. I think there are also some free programs, but not sure.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 7:02 PM   #6

There are several possibilities. The two most likely causes are:

1. Instead of burning the movies onto a MOVIE DVD, you burned them onto a DATA DVD. This would allow you to move your movies and other very large files from one computer to another, but no DVD Player will be able to make sense out of it. You need to use a program that can convert your collection of AVI files into a MOVIE. There are a number of programs that can do that, but the simplest (and the one you probably already have)is Windows Movie Maker. In Windows XP, it's on the menu under All Programs.

2. It's possible that you burned the movies onto a format of recordeable DVD that your DVD Player can't play. Many DVD Players, especially older and less expensive ones, may not be able to play any recordeable DVDs, or may only be able to play certain types. Recordeable DVDs come in DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R & DVD+RW formats. You need to check the manual (or the manufacturer's website) for your DVD Player to see which kinds it will work with.

Also, if you just want to watch the videos on your TV, you can connect your camera directly to the TV. And if all you want to do is copy your videos to a DVD, it's easier to connect your camera directly to a DVD Recorder that is part of your Home Theater system than a DVD Recorder that is part of your PC. Programs like Windows Movie Maker are good if you want to edit the videos, add comentary or a soundtrack, or add Titles. But if all you want to do is transfer the movies to a DVD, a Home Theater DVD Recorder is simpler than a PC.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote